*Italy and Coronavirus - READ IT*

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we thought that things were starting to settle here in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan, we are now experiencing a second wave and a bigger wave from people coming back from Europe and USA. I am afraid the hard work we have been doing in the past 3 months without total lockdown is not working and more restrictions are needed before the medical systems collapse. Most of our food and daily essentials are imported and it is worrying.
I guess organizing a stoppage for all wor;d travel is abut out of the question. I think we will see a big bloom here in Georgia, USA in a week or so. Thousands and thousands of teens came through here last week and we have traffic on both North-South Interstates from the hot zone of Northeast and the Governer will not shut down the state.

Last edited:
While we thought that things were starting to settle here in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan, we are now experiencing a second wave and a bigger wave from people coming back from Europe and USA. I am afraid the hard work we have been doing in the past 3 months without total lockdown is not working and more restrictions are needed before the medical systems collapse. Most of our food and daily essentials are imported and it is worrying.
That's about how it will be for a long time I think unless everyone shuts their borders and goes into total lockdown.
Fortunately in New Zealand we export a lot of food - so in that respect we may be ok.

I guess organizing a stoppage for all work travel is abut out of the question. I think we will see a big bloom here in Georgia, USA in a week or so. Thousands and thousands of teens came through here last week and we have traffic on both North-South Interstates from the hot zone of Northeast and the Governer will not shut down the state.
I almost wonder if we'd be better off just letting it run its course. I think many of the poorer countries are going to end up having it drag out for ages and more people will die of starvation than the virus.

Real Name
Ken
I went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon, and it really felt weird -- there was little traffic on what Is normally a very busy road and the store was not crowded, either. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of items on my list that I could buy and not surprised at the absence of some other items..... For the most part, people were mindful of distancing and such, but I had one truly upsetting experience. I was reaching for a bottle of orange juice and suddenly there was someone, a young man, pushing up against me and literally right in my face, almost knocking me over as he grabbed for one, too. Shocked and startled, I backed away, confused. The woman who was with him (don't know if she were a parent or caregiver) raised her voice to remind and instruct him to move away, to be polite, to take his turn, and then explained to me that he is autistic and doesn't always grasp social norms..... I can imagine that right now during this particularly confusing time he would really be floundering, in what is already a world that is not totally understandable to him in the first place.

I assured the woman that it was OK and I continued on with my shopping, although, yes, frankly, I was more than a little unnerved. She had enough with which to deal, she didn't need me going off on her or the young man. It was an unfortunate incident, and of course I wondered why in a situation where shoppers were all supposed to keep at a distance from each other that someone who clearly does not understand the concept of physical boundaries was even in the store in the first place. I immediately realized that probably his parent or caregiver had to do some absolutely necessary shopping and could not leave him at home on his own unsupervised, so had no choice but to bring him with her to the store. This would have been a disturbing incident in normal times, but especially now in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis it was really unnerving and selfishly, I am just hoping and praying that he was not carrying the virus and inadvertently sharing it.....
It sounds very unnerving, but I applaud you for having some empathy for the man and woman. Empathy seems to be a bit in short supply with many folks these days. And while you did not know their circumstances, it was nice of you to give them the benefit of the doubt during difficult times. We do not always know what it is like to walk in somebody else's shoes. I just wish that empathy and patience were as contagious as COVID-19.

--Ken

I just wish that empathy and patience were as contagious as COVID-19.
Amen.
I will admit to be among the lucky ones. My wife and I have both been retired for a couple of years and have therefore had time to work out how each of us claims space and time at home without killing each other. Our kids don't live with us, and they are both employed. They are healthy—as are we, despite us being of the Covid-19 age! But we can very easily stay home and stay busy and be happy; we shop once a week (we live in a town of 20,000 or less). We haven't and don't need to stockpile. We support our local businesses over national big boxes. Our son in Salt Lake city will be donating his federal CARE $ to those who need it most—given his life style, most likely peope in the restaurant business. Our daughter, in Boise, works for the School District before/after school services. And even though schools are shuttered, she still works caring for kids who have nowhere else to go.
I have friends who are not as lucky—food service workers, musicians, parents with young kids or elderly parents, live alone (that's really tough), own a local business, and more. My former colleagues are learning how to teach on line; my former students are learning how to learn on line. I'm most grateful to be done teaching. I am grateful for Rusty my mail man, and the FedEx/UPS guys. And for sure the garbage/recycling teams. And the folks at the grocery store, post office, police, hospital, fire dept, and oh so many more.
Empathy?
I have it better than most and will gladly let others move to front of the line. TP, bleach, and the like are over-rated anyway. I have my wine, coffee, lentils and Basmati rice!
I ramble.
I'm not religious so I won't/can't pray for you, but I will drink to your health. Cheers.

My wife and I celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary today, and wish you all the same or better.

As I said to our governor, we are in it together and together is how we will beat it.
Peace and health.

My wife and I celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary today, and wish you all the same or better.
Congratulations!

We celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary on the 6th March

Some of the communications doing the rounds at the moment are quite well done, this one from New Zealand I felt was very good.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken
Congratulations to both of you! Are couples having only 44th wedding anniversaries this year? :eek:
I will second that congratulations to both of you and your spouses. Right around this time last year my wife and I were heading off to Spain for an early celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary (32 years together). It was an amazing trip and we have been talking about it these past few days as we read about Spain in the news.

We are very grateful for all that we have, despite numerous health challenges, and it is upsetting to see the most vulnerable in our society being hit so hard by all that is happening. We have not yet discussed our stimulus checks, but I suspect that they will probably be donated to organizations that provide assistance to people in need.

--Ken

We celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary on the 6th March
Congratulations!

Today(March 28) is our 35th anniversary. Last night we celebrated at a restaurant which required temperature check and signing of health declaration before entering, and guests were at least 1.5m apart.

Real Name
Carl
Italy is in a sad and miserable situation. A beautiful country, with lovely people, with leaders that were/are unfortunately " behind the curve". This will pass, but will leave sadness behind. But, more than passing thanks are due to the medical personnel who are fighting to cure their patients, and succeeding!

Happy Anniversary, Nick, Richard and Phil (and your wives)!

Yes, I consider myself fortunate right now, too, in that I am retired and so am not worrying about getting to work, trying to work from home or being laid off, etc., and have a pension in addition to my Social Security benefits, so there is regular income coming in monthly, and I have other resources. Living alone since my husband's death in 1989, I have long since become accustomed to my own company and always can find something to do, something to keep me interested and engaged, and am always a little surprised when someone complains about being bored. It helps that I live in a nice, rather scenic area in the midst of suburbia and that services and retail facilities are readily available during normal times, plus online retail shopping during this unusual time. I've been spending the last couple of weeks or so not unlike the way I spent most of the winter anyway: puttering around home, a lot of time on the computer participating in forums, following news reports, etc., and also of course taking photos and editing them. I've got plenty of food and supplies in the house thanks to my tendency to add a little extra each time I've shopped during the winter in anticipation of a big snowstorm (which we never had this year!), and I'm (knock on wood) healthy. Spring allergies are kicking in but I'm familiar with those symptoms and am not panicking every time I sneeze. I'm in touch with family and friends thanks to the internet and texting, and so far all is well with them, too. I've got much to be thankful for.

Italy is in a sad and miserable situation. A beautiful country, with lovely people, with leaders that were/are unfortunately " behind the curve". This will pass, but will leave sadness behind. But, more than passing thanks are due to the medical personnel who are fighting to cure their patients, and succeeding!
And those retired healthcare workers volunteering to return to help when they are amongst the highest at risk.

Desmond, there are a lot us here that shake our heads in disbelief daily, I’ve been doing it for over 3 years. You omitted one word from your quote. “Trump considering...”
Using the camera sensor dust analogy, wind can be finicky. Pull the lens and put the body out in the rain, rain will get rid of that dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom