*Italy and Coronavirus - READ IT*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not alone. Here in Georgia, after 3 weeks of procrastination Gov. Kemp, whom I did not consider smart, proved to be an idiot today. He finally declared a stay at home order, while doing so he said he had just learned (within the last 24 hours) that the CDC said the virus could be spread by seemingly healthy people. WE ARE DOOMED, we have no leadership.

I don't think there are simple solutions.

I also think that this current situation shows that the free play of market forces does not work well when the economy and society are under pressure.
A more centralized planning system might speed up response, such as the use of the armed forces to deploy resources rapidly.

Here is the thing regarding masks, it is a jungle out there in China:
www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

Then the scale of things:
40 million masks only last 1 week in France if restricted to hospitals and healthcare professionals.
Can you imagine how many would be needed for 300-400 million people in the US?
They are single use.
Then the rest of the world needs them too.

Other emerging problems I am reading about are that raw materials for masks and components for drugs are simply not available to support the skyrocketing worldwide demand.
Some drugs are also now put to different uses, increasing the demand.
There are talks of this meaning that some life savings drugs can no longer be obtained.

Re elevators, in our estate the management has implemented a 1 person (or one household isolating together) in the lift/elevator at a time.
The stores have markings on the floor to enforce social distance.

What puzzles me is why doesn't the US apply measures that have already been adopted across the world?
The US have/had the advantage of behind amongst the last to be impacted (unless the gov lied with the numbers), it means they could "see into the future".
Don't forget to mention that France stoled masks ( 4 millions masks , March 5th ) that were sent from Sweden to Spain and Italy ( this happened while transiting through Lyon ) , those masks never made it to Italy and Spain they are being used in France!!!!!

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
A friend of ours here in Boston is now intubated and on a mechanical ventilator with COVID-19. About 40 years old, no pre-existing conditions. Just last year we were at his wedding.
A very sad and personal reminder that none of us are that protected from the ravages of COVID-19. I wish your friend a strong and healthy recovery, Amin.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
funny, i got a local grocery store near me.....hasn't had toilet paper for a couple of weeks now but, the shelves are full of kleenex boxes....guess no one here figured out you can use kleenex as toilet paper
You don't want to do that, unless you don't flush it. Kleenex is designed to not disintegrate when wet. It clogs up the sewage system.

Don't forget to mention that France stoled masks ( 4 millions masks , March 5th ) that were sent from Sweden to Spain and Italy ( this happened while transiting through Lyon ) , those masks never made it to Italy and Spain they are being used in France!!!!!
I would not be entirely surprised, will look for valid source.
Many countries in the EU and across the world have, under emergency powers, seized all stocks of medical equipment in their territory at the time, be it produced and ordered by local hospitals or in transit stores in containers or warehouses.
This illustrates that globalisation and outsourcing is not designed to cope with these situations.
Normal contractual rules no longer apply.

I have also found sources on the Czech Republic admitting to do so:
https://www.ladepeche.fr/2020/03/24...r-litalie-saisis-par-les-tcheques,8815977.php
I have seen some fake news on France and other countries such as Germany doing it.
Breitbart seems to be accusing every country of doing it, including Italy stealing ventilators destined for Greece.
Edit: I found several reliable French sources:
https://www.leprogres.fr/sante/2020...tionnes-par-la-france-sous-le-nez-de-la-suede
In short, France seized 4m masks.
After days of diplomatic pressure released 2m.
now the Swedish manufacturer says that all countries have done the same and is struggling to deliver masks to their original intended destination.

Last edited:
Yes I did find some and edited my post accordingly.
[/QUOT
Yes I did find some and edited my post accordingly.
So u do not trust what I say ?? Obviously you don't follow or do not understand the French news !!!!
There are plenty of valid sources ; LeMonde,Le Figaro , Ouest France , Telegramme , TF1, France Infos , Radio France .... you dont have to look for a vaild souce ,It was the headlines news around the 10 of March in France

Nothing personal, I don't trust anything if I can't find a reliable source.
There is too much circular referencing going around in the press and the media.
Usually Libe's Check News, BBC's More or Less or the US podcast Freakonomics get to the bottom of the truth, quite often it is shows that even initial reporting by reputable sources (including their own teams); WSJ, BBC, France Inter, Le Monde etc... did not get all the facts or the facts right.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd
https://freakonomics.com
https://www.liberation.fr/checknews,100893

Real Name
Ian
Sterilization of masks is difficult as the virus can get into the nooks and crannies of the fiber and spraying 91% on the surface will kill those viruses on the surface that come into contact with the alcohol. It is better than nothing, but still consider the masks may be contaminated and be careful with them

There is a call out by the authorities to fund research methods of sterilizing masks etc. It is a difficult problem because what works tends to destroy the masks etc. In the old days they used ethylene oxide to sterilize the heat sensitive items. But ethylene oxide is very toxic and dangerous to use.

Some of my associates are looking at some methods including high doses gamma ray and other exotic methods but nothing good yet...

Something is better than nothing, but so far the best for home is soap and water.
Alexis, what happens to the mask material if subjected to radiation sterilization (Gamma or E-Beam)?

Is there just an embrittlement of the mask material that may cause them to fail in-use?

Also, why would an autoclave not be successful? Is the mask’s material not capable of withstanding the temperature and time?

Alexis, what happens to the mask material if subjected to radiation sterilization (Gamma or E-Beam)?

Is there just an embrittlement of the mask material that may cause them to fail in-use?

Also, why would an autoclave not be successful? Is the mask’s material not capable of withstanding the temperature and time?
Hi,

Yes the major problem is that some materials do not stand up to the sterilizing. the embrittlement from gamma or e beam can be an issue. So one needs to make tests to see what works. a group I know are working on this method seeing if they can get the right settings that don't damage the masks but do kill the virus.

The standard autoclave works at 235 or 250F so many of the materials just end up in a puddle... the N95 masks have a spun plastic (polyester or polyethylene I think) so in a regular autoclave they melt into a blob an don't work (I tried...)

The hydrogen peroxide vapor does not work with cellulose based products (think paper) as the peroxide reacts with the cellulose.

Ethanol works for many things but again it damages some plastics and paper filters.

UV works but it only gets what is on the surface and gets hit by the UV. my biocontainment unit uses a UV lamp for sterilization. but we also wipe it down with 95% ethanol which is denatured with 15% methanol.

Right now I am so short of masks I am reusing them. so I am spraying them with a very fine mist of ethanol and hoping it is working. I have been taking a dog for walks from an apartment where the person tested positive so I do need the gear.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"take care everyone and wash your paws." - Georgie Beagle

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Right now I am so short of masks I am reusing them. so I am spraying them with a very fine mist of ethanol and hoping it is working. I have been taking a dog for walks from an apartment where the person tested positive so I do need the gear.
I'm an asthmatic and regularly keep masks in my house for when I'm cleaning with sprays and such and for times when I'm cleaning the basement and garage. Little did I know the masks I had been buying were N95s. Thankfully and I have a two packs left, but they are in such short supply that I'm afraid of running out before this is over...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
A friend of ours here in Boston is now intubated and on a mechanical ventilator with COVID-19. About 40 years old, no pre-existing conditions. Just last year we were at his wedding.
My prayers are with your friend. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery.

As far as you are concerned, please stay safe.

and Japan?
less than half of China's rates....
It’s amazing that in a country with the population density of China, they managed to only have 80k cases and 3k deaths over a span of multiple months...
:rolleyes:
India 2.5k total cases..... Uh-huh.
A lot of countries not reporting accurately and perhaps many people having mild symptoms but not knowing they had the virus.
My brother-in-law back in Canada told us yesterday he's thinking he had it a few weeks ago based on his symptoms but not entirely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom