*Italy and Coronavirus - READ IT*

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least here in the US, there were quite a number of left-leaning individuals in politics and on TV that chastised President Trump when he banned flights coming from China back in early February.

They claimed that such a move was racist, xenophobic, etc. Then, less than a month later they were begging him to do more.
Latest data shows that the infection in the US came from travellers from Europe not China.
it went China-Europe-US
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...cases-came-from-europe-genome-researchers-say

Last edited:
G'day all, Jenny and I are in day 22 of isolation. We use Zoom each day to talk to our children and grandchildren, they only live a few minutes walk away
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Currently in Stage 3 Statewide lockdown in New South Wales which means no unnecessary being out of the house. Police are stopping people and asking what reasons they have for being on the road, if not in the 'prescribed list' a very hefty fine and/or 6 months jail.

Allowed out to walk for exercise, but not supposed to stop or sit down anywhere.

A few cafe's/restaurants in NSW are still open, but doing takeaways only.

Social distancing, we all have to stay 1.5 metres away from all other people who we don't reside with.

No groups over 2 allowed outdoors (even in your own home) unless they live permanently with you.

Government paying wages to those who aren't working and other massive generous stimulus packages.

Weddings, only can have 5 people. Funerals can have 10 (unclear if that's 9+1 or 10+1)

I had my 'telephone consultation' with my Doctor this morning and my Doctor then forwarded all my prescriptions to the pharmacy and an hour later Jenny and I were able to drive the 30 kilometres into town and when there, telephone the chemist and said we were outside and one of the ladies brought it out wearing gloves and a mask and dropped it into a bag that I was holding opened.

All sounds very onerous, but so far its put Australia in a good position, but there's no end it sight. If the government take their foot
off the brakes, infections will start to rise and then sky rocket and deaths will rise. Prime Minister has told us to prepare for this for a
long long time (6-18 months).......until 'herd immunity' slowly builds or a vaccine is invented.

Most people are following the restrictions, there's always some Richard Craniums and the police are onto them pretty quick. This 4 day Easter break
is going to be trying as its a time when most Aussies go away for a holiday to enjoy the last good weather before Winter starts. The Prime Minister has warned that if the restrictions are ignored it could be catastrophic for Australia and increase person to person transmissions that aren't traceable.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that from New Years Eve 2020 has been one sh#tty year so far for us.

Please look after yourselves and your precious loved ones everyone. Seeing the worldwide figures of new infections and death totals each day......those figures are chillingly sobering.

Real Name
Ian
Latest data shows that the infection in the US came from travellers from Europe not China.
it went China-Europe-US
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...cases-came-from-europe-genome-researchers-say
Yes, but hindsight is always 20/20.

When the virus broke out, it happened in China. The logical decision, which was made, was to stop entry to the country on flights from China. That’s what was done, and yet critics came out of the woodwork about how such an action was racist/xenophobic, nationalistic, etc.

Could you imagine the bloodbath that the national media would have created if Trump banned ALL international flights in to the country back in early February?

I’m curious if other heavily-hit countries (I.e. Italy, Spain) are as critical of their country leadership as we are here in the US?

Yes, but hindsight is always 20/20.

When the virus broke out, it happened in China. The logical decision, which was made, was to stop entry to the country on flights from China. That’s what was done, and yet critics came out of the woodwork about how such an action was racist/xenophobic, nationalistic, etc.

Could you imagine the bloodbath that the national media would have created if Trump banned ALL international flights in to the country back in early February?

I’m curious if other heavily-hit countries (I.e. Italy, Spain) are as critical of their country leadership as we are here in the US?
They are even more critical ( see France for example )

there were quite a number of left-leaning individuals in politics and on TV that chastised President Trump when he banned flights coming from China back in early February. They claimed that such a move was racist, xenophobic, etc.
critics came out of the woodwork about how such an action was racist/xenophobic, nationalistic, etc.
Please leave politics out of the discussion. Thank you.

it went China-Europe-US
I'm not going to argue that data, but I find it hard to believe, since there's about an average of almost 8,000 people flying from China to the US every single day before restrictions. If the virus did first show up in China in November, that's a LOT of people coming from China to the US directly between then and the restrictions in early Feb.

I'm not going to argue that data, but I find it hard to believe, since there's about an average of almost 8,000 people flying from China to the US every single day before restrictions. If the virus did first show up in China in November, that's a LOT of people coming from China to the US directly between then and the restrictions in early Feb.
Beliefs are one thing, data another.
There are about 500K US travellers to Asia per month.
Most of them have to come back. They could have been carriers.
The non Chinese route is statistically more likely, as China is the only 5th nation for inbound travellers, the UK hub theory makes a lot of sense:
https://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2017-I-001/documents/Final COR Volume.xlsx

In the UK the government is careful not to mention that as one of the largest hubs in the world the risk of contamination was high from the start.
Scientists looking at the virus tend to look for the origins of the virus.
At the moment they are also raising doubts on the veracity of the wet market as the source.
They do not doubt that many people who had the virus went to the market but believe it is more likely that infected farmers carried it there.
They will never find out as the place has been thoroughly cleansed.
They also think it is as likely that a non lethal ancestor of the virus jumped from bats to cattle to man and evolved to a lethal type in man.
They also do not give too much credence to the pangolin theory.
It is very likely that we will not know what happened any time soon, if ever.
It took more than a year for the analysis of the 2005 heat wave catastrophe in Europe to be completed, and that was only a simple tragic catastrophe by comparison.
Considering we are still arguing what happened during the Spanish flu (brought from the US is a theory)...

Last edited:
44 new cases in New Zealand, a woman in her 90's has died making it two deaths in total so far.

The grocery store I go to most often is the large Safeway chain. They sent an email yesterday explaining that their stores are going to limit the number of customers during regular hours to one person for every 150 square feet. During senior hours it will be only one customer per every 300 square feet. They are also going to mark all aisles as being one-way, which I think is a fabulous idea.

There are so few people in my local grocery store these days that I don't think the limitation will create a line outside the store. I think that's because families seem to be sending one person to do the grocery shopping. It has been a few weeks since I have regularly seen children or couples in the store.

Real Name
Ian
The grocery store I go to most often is the large Safeway chain. They sent an email yesterday explaining that their stores are going to limit the number of people during regular hours to one person for every 150 square feet. During senior hours it will be only one person per every 300 square feet. They are also going to mark all aisles as being one-way, which I think is a fabulous idea.
Our local Lowes and Home Depot stores are now limiting the number of people inside the store to be no greater than 100.

The grocery store I go to most often is the large Safeway chain. They sent an email yesterday explaining that their stores are going to limit the number of customers during regular hours to one person for every 150 square feet. During senior hours it will be only one customer per every 300 square feet. They are also going to mark all aisles as being one-way, which I think is a fabulous idea.

There are so few people in my local grocery store these days that I don't think the limitation will create a line outside the store. I think that's because families seem to be sending one person to do the grocery shopping. It has been a few weeks since I have regularly seen children or couples in the store.
Thats not a new idea they do that here since 2 weeks

Our town, Blacksburg, VA, has about 30,000 permanent residents and 30,000 students during the academic year. The students are mostly not here now so our two large Kroger and two large Food Lion grocery stores have plenty of room.

I've not been into any of them in two weeks but I don't think their restrictions on numbers of customers will make any difference.

My wife and I had been both going to do the shopping once a week and dividing up the list to minimize time in the store. But after seeing how much worse males are faring from the disease, my wife has volunteered to do it alone until the infection dies down. Our wine stock was at an all-time high just before this started so she doesn't even need me for that.

Last edited:

They have had similar restrictions here for weeks. They have markings on the floor, only one person per zone, cash only at the self check out machines, tellers do not handle cash and customers have to use contactless methods of payment if they do not use the self check outs. It is all manageable.

I have finally yielded to plastic instead of cash (in my pocket) is king mindset.

cash only at the self check out machines, tellers do not handle cash and customers have to use contactless methods of payment if they do not use the self check outs. It is all manageable.
If the company doesn't have self-checkout machines, that requirement puts the poorest people, who are already at a huge health disadvantage, at an economic disadvantage. That's because so many of the poor only have cash.

I'm not poor, but if a company required that I use contactless point-of-purchase payment, I would resist that as long as possible by doing business with their competitors. That's because I've never used my cellphone for making a payment and have no plans to do so.

Last edited:
If the company doesn't have self-checkout machines, that requirement puts the poorest people, who are already at a huge health disadvantage, at an economic advantage. That's because so many of the poor only have cash.

I'm not poor, but if a company required that I use contactless point-of-purchase payment, I would resist that as long as possible by doing business with their competitors. That's because I've never used my cellphone for making a payment and have no plans to do so.
That is very true.
The supermarket chains introduced this to protect their staff.
As in the UK there is no legal requirement to accept cash, it is up to the stores.

But after seeing how much worse males are faring from the disease, my wife has volunteered to do it alone until the infection dies down. Our wine stock was at an all-time high just before this started so she doesn't even need me for that
I haven't seen the mortality by gender stats for Idaho, but infection stats are slightly different here.

And since I'm the cook in the house, I am also the designated shopper. But that's OK, I have to drive right by our wine store, and always stop in for the latest in COVID cures.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Like you I don't wish to use my phone to make payments. But I make contactless payments using my credit card. Don't you have that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom