It's a Biiiig Scary world, but I'm all right...story + pic

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Frits, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Story: This afternoon, I was walking around looking for something to continue testing my 300 f/2.8. I ended up having a nice spring walk in the woods with NOTHING worthwile to shoot. Then I noticed this tiny squirrel, who promptly ran away to shelter deep inside this HUGE pinetree. I say: WTH, here is something to try out my focusing, the low shutter speed (late PM) etc. more out of boredom then anything, thinking that I'll flush the pic afterwards.
    Now: I kind of like it. I like the tiny animal being enveloped and safely sheltered by this big tree. The effect of the soft late day light, the play of Bokeh.....anyway, am I losing it?????? What do you think?:

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shot.

I think you could crop it a bit more and keep the effect. Whatcha think.

I was out playing with my 50mm 1.8 today and was very pleased.

It really is tough when you go out, in a great mood and nothing appears.

One keeper for the day is worth the time :>))))))

3. Thanks for your suggestion, Gale. I kind of liked the sense of this tiny animal safely sheltered in the huge tree with no worry in the world (for now). Hence I thought it worked uncropped.
    But I'll certainly give your suggestion a try and see what it does.

4. Very successful test Frits!! I have the toughest time with squirrel shots. Those little critters are jumpy!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. Nice isolation of this little guy.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Fritz,

I like it. The pic and the story reminds me of many shooting outings that I have taken, where the targets are rare, but you still bring home something that provides a link to that time.

On top of that, the pic ain't bad. :lol:

Frank

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frits,

I got the red X at first but then the picture came up.. and I like it just as it is........ interesting foreground and background and perfect little squirrel.

Gaye

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I like the pic....makes me think of looking in through a window w/blinds partly pulled shut (the bit of leaves in the foreground). Nice colors as well.