1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

It's a bird, a plane,....

Discussion in 'People' started by dougkess, Jul 2, 2007.

1. From the Downtown Street Fair in Bakersfield, California:
    602751147_c3131384c6_o.

2. Hi Doug,

I wonder if a tighter crop might work a little better... maybe even cutting off his arm (worth a try). Also, the subjects are a bit underexposed.

I love the expression on his face. Youthful hyperbole!

3. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    a little drama

Doug,

I hope you don't mind me fiddling with your shot...

boys_compareSm.

Mike

4. Thats a great capture!

Love the expression of the boys.

A little tighter framing and adjust the exposure and you'll have a winner.

/Paul L.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I really like the OOB version of the image.
    works well

6. I would dearly like to know how you did this - I thought the first shot was interesting, but the edit/change makes it really impressive. Any chance of a lesson?

Chris

7. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Doug,

There was a flurry of OOBs about 4-5 months ago that really got my attention. I don't know who all was involved.

It's just a matter of getting your original to where you want it to be with PP; then duplicating it in another layer; somehow (and this is the hard part) getting the bkg to look as if the foreground was never there (I do this by stamping, smearing, et al to look as if the subject didn't exist, at least where the foreground image won't cover them later). This will end up being the real bkg. So I turn this into a 'framed photo,' use perspective to tilt it backwards; warp it; add a drop shadow; and some kind of background (behind the background) that adds to the feel. I used a gradient of black to orange on yours.

Then you plop the foreground on top. Do this by extracting (which I don't know how to use very well - I use the new magic wand.) the foreground for things that will 'stick out' of the 'framed photo.'

TrackOOBSm.

View attachment 103780

View attachment 103781

It is easy once you figure out how to handle the background.

Let me know how it works out.

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.