It's been a very long time, my friends...

...but I'm back. I think.

I have no pictures to show, but I wanted to post here because I know that most of you will understand (better than most other people) what kind of emotional state I am in right now. I just received a tracking number from the previous owner of a Leica IIIc from 1950. The days (hopefully not too many of them) until I find out if it's a lemon or pure gold cannot pass by quickly enough, but as you all know, a tracking number is a portal to a place where time hardly moves at all.

I am on my way to a place that sells B&W film (hopefully), so I'll be ready for the camera when it arrives.
(I'm in Rio de Janeiro, btw, which explains why I have no idea where to buy film. )

Oh time, you *******, speed up!

That's all for now, guys.
I'm the proud owner of a tracking number. Hopefully next message I can show you a picture or two of a genuine Leica.

Congrats on the tracking number. :)

I'm very close of dumping a lot of gear for a M6.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. :)
Waiting time is probably not going to seem shorter with five rolls of Tri-X and a couple of Acros Neopan in the fridge... :eek:

Nope it will now be longer for sure.

I just got back from Spain and France and that was the exact films I used. I need to develop some tonite, looking forward to the gargoyles of notre dame shots that I always wanted. I know they have been photographed 100billion times, however, these are mine.

Oh, I hope so, too.
The tracking site show that it has moved in São Paulo, so I fully expect to have it in my hand tomorrow or Friday.
Tick.
Tock.
T i c k.
T o c k.

Reading about it really helps, though.
Does any of you have and regularly use a bottom loader Leica?
Do you cut the leader in the prescribed fashion, or do you perhaps insert a card?
My friend says he does neither and never had a problem, but others claim they have ruined the shutter, which is NOT on the agenda... :)

I've been very disappointed with myself for not setting up the darkroom and letting the film obsession cool down, but I can feel it rushing back in.

Even if the Leica should turn out to be a dud, I can feel that I'm back thinking film, which is awesome. I have a BUNCH of slide films (mostly 120, but also quite a few sheets of 4x5") at home to develop, and I have a LOT of film, but almost no B&W. A friend recently got a Jobo, so I anticipate some assembly line E6 processing of films exposed two years ago and more. Very exciting to see what the hell I shot on all those rolls...

I bought a D200 last summer, but I haven't managed to get excited about it at all. Every time I pick it up it is like it is telling me I'm cheating on my real obsession or something.

For the last couple of years, then, to tell you the truth, my main camera has been the iPhone. :redface:

Yeah. I'm quite excited. :biggrin:

So. If I don't start taking great pictures soon, I certainly can't blame the equipment. I have my most of my dream Nikons (I had the FE2 brochure in my bedside table drawer at 14...), I have a couple of vintage 120 folders, I have a Hasselblad, a Fuji GX680 (which I knew nothing about but which is amazing, of course), and a Sinar 4x5" system. All in working order. I am probably better equipped than many pros in the 70s. :cool:

I have a certain confidence when it comes to various aspects of theory, and I have the obsessive mind to learn what I don't know. And soon (very soon) I have a vintage Leica.

So what's missing? There is that thing about a "voice". Of finding an expression. One day soon I should quit the snapshot business and start a "project". Maybe the Leica will inspire me. Hahaha.

Excuse me while I check the EMS tracking page...

I have a Leica IIIf, it is quite enjoyable, in some ways more fun than the M2. I just know you are going to love this little camera. :smile:

Real Name
Chris
A guy that used to post here once said that a Leica was the ultimate point & shoot. Preset and forget, ya know?

I forget, what do you have for a lens Tormod? As far as bottom loading goes, I LOVE the modern bottom loaders with the tulip. The older ones like in the III, well ... patience is a good thing.

I also got a IIIc, got a 5cm collapsible summicron f/2, love it! I find it best (and safest) to trim the film when loading, had some experiences where the film won´t hock up properly with the spoole making double exposures.

Grab it on a sunny day, use sunny16 and have fun!
Oh, and welcome back :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The pictures of it show a 5cm Summitar 1:2, so I guess that's not too shabby if it's in good shape.

Tracking says it was loaded on a truck last night, so I guess it is in the same city as me right now. No idea how efficient Brazilian post is, but I will be very disappointed if I don't have it tomorrow, at the latest...

It arrived!! :m75:

I'm not completely sure about the rangefinder, and the lens seems a little wonky, but otherwise it looks very good for 63, and the sound of the shutter... *faint*

(forgive the sloppy background blur thing I did...)

Looks great for a camera that's almost* as old as I am! I take it the lens collapses. Nobody will confuse that with a digital!

* not even close
My IIIa is eight years older than I. :eek: That Summar lens is pretty cool, no 'Cron, but it is cool. :smile:

There are some issues with the camera. I think I need to have someone give it a tuneup.
Waiting for the first roll to come back from a lab that does D76, crossing fingers...

Oh, and I've decided to go for trimming the lead. Easiest and much safer.

Proof of concept:

One of very few decent shots on the first roll. This is the pathetic view from "my" apartment in Rio:

Tri-X. Developed by a local lab (D76). The prints were horrible, and the negs scratched. If I want my negs scratched, I'm going to be the one to do it. Hrmph.
But I wanted to see if it *works*, and now we know. It kinda does. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom