It's been a year

What a long year. Personally I lost my father, went through a cancer scare with a loved one, have watched my mother decline in memory as I have cared for her, and dealt with covid. It's all been a lot to take in. Hopefully I have learned a lot and grown in good ways. I have so much more gratitude for the simple things. My family means more to me than ever. I have learned to turn off the news and only listen enough to get the headlines. I have tried to get out in nature (we can do that safely here). I have taken more time to meditate, pray, and reflect. That is how I have coped and I feel that it has worked. I'm not afraid all the time and have enjoyed life the best I could. Hopefully the next 12 months will be better for everyone. The cafe has been such a blessing to me as I have been more isolated. You all have given me so much friendship and support as we have gone through this together. We don't talk here about all the issues that cause so much hate and it helps me to see that we are so much more alike than we are different. Thank you all for your part in helping me get through the past year.

Have not seen family for over a year.
Health problems due to the crisis in hospitals (de prioritisation of treatment unless it reaches critical stage - which it did twice in my case- and not over).
Lost job, found new one, start date delayed 3 months.
No help from UK gov as self employed in between.
But got vaccinated, hopefully UK out of it by summer or end 2021 at the latest.
From then on, who knows.
Overall we are relatively in a better position in the UK now than 5 months ago.
But this only works if the entire world controls the virus.
So fingers crossed.

Have not seen family for over a year.
Health problems due to the crisis in hospitals (de prioritisation of treatment unless it reaches critical stage - which it did twice in my case- and not over).
Lost job, found new one, start date delayed 3 months.
No help from UK gov as self employed in between.
But got vaccinated, hopefully UK out of it by summer or end 2021 at the latest.
From then on, who knows.
Overall we are relatively in a better position in the UK now than 5 months ago.
But this only works if the entire world controls the virus.
So fingers crossed.
You have had it tough. I sure hope the UK continues to improve.

Real Name
Phil
Haven't seen my son, who is working in London, for over a year. My girl, also in London, came back for Christmas in end of November and required to quarantine at hotel for 2 weeks before coming home. She was supposed to go back to London in early January but Hong Kong government changed policy and not allowed passenger flights from UK because of the new variant. She had to re-schedule her return flight to London several times and finally could fly in 3rd week of January. Fortunately her company allowed her top continue to 'work from home' during that delay.

Once travel restriction is relaxed, I will go to London to see them. I will get vaccinated next month and the kids should have it done before summer.

You have had it tough. I sure hope the UK continues to improve.
[/QUOTE ]
Thanks Terri.
So many people have had their life changed over the past year.
And like you, I am not counting the long Covid and tragic deaths.
On the plus side people have been nicer to one another, very supportive.
I hope this carries on.

Haven't seen my son, who is working in London, for over a year. My girl, also in London, came back for Christmas in end of November and required to quarantine at hotel for 2 weeks before coming home. She was supposed to go back to London in early January but Hong Kong government changed policy and not allowed passenger flights from UK because of the new variant. She had to re-schedule her return flight to London several times and finally could fly in 3rd week of January. Fortunately her company allowed her top continue to 'work from home' during that delay.

Once travel restriction is relaxed, I will go to London to see them. I will get vaccinated next month and the kids should have it done before summer.
I feel your pain.
Our family is all over the world, UK, US, Central America, Ireland, France and Spain.
It has been zoom meetings all around.

Real Name
Dan
Hopefully at some point common sense will prevail. Once the population over 60yrs of age and people with underlying health issues have been vaccinated restrictions could be lifted. There is plenty real world data now to support such a move. It would actually be beneficial to do so in that we would more rapidly achieve "herd immunity". But in todays society I doubt politicians will have the will to do so. Plus the press continue to report misleading information. Truthful but misleading. As it is said, "there are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics".

Last edited:

That will be a joyous reunion!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom