1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

It's called "Fish Hawk" for a reason + Kingfisher up close!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Because it only eats fish. :eek:  I was pretty amazed at how nonchalant the other birds were in the presence of this predator, although they did give it a comfortable wide berth, I noticed. :wink:
    All shot with D200/500 F4+TC14.
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    700mm    f/5.6    1/2500s    ISO 400

A flight shot
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/1250s    ISO 250

The beautiful Snowy Egret
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/1500s    ISO 250

And, look what briefly landed not 20 ft from me!
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    700mm    f/7.1    1/500s    ISO 250

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  2. Wow! That's got to be the most up-close-and-personal KF shot I've seen!! Well done! And lucky you!!

Osprey flight shot's nice too!!

3. I'll echo Kevin.... fantabulous capture of a Kingfisher!!!!! You coudn't do better if you tried! You got him all the way from the top of his crest to the tip of his tail, and including the feet!

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Kev, sometimes you just get lucky....and as witnessed from your earlier post, sometimes ya don't! :frown:
    I only got 4 shots off before he booked.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Sandi, I got very lucky with this one, only 4 shots fired, and the others were no good!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

I'm so impressed by these images (and several others that you have posted with the D200). I think that you have found your ideal set-up my friend. These are really good. :smile:

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Frank, once I get the Gitzo leveling head off, and the new Wimberley Type II head attached, I just might be able to carry this rig 100 ft or so....maybe! :wink: Can't wait til M.I. III myself!

8. Kingfisher shot Steve are wicked. Nicest I think I have seen posted, especially this close up. ONly 4 shots, well that is 3 more than most. LOL.........great job. Looks like you luv your combo!!!

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well, Keith, I'm still not completely sold on this cam as the rig of choice for use with the 500 + a TC, but it does do pretty good. It'll most lilkely be relgated to a walking aorund rig, and backup to the backup. :biggrin: I also think the outboard focus reticles are more accurate on the D2 series. Plus, the big rig actually feels more balanced & solid with the D2 cam attached, and I like the layout of the buttons better on the D2 series.

10. Isnt the D200 a D2 series :confused:  :biggrin: :biggrin: I get the jest, hence why Im back shooting a X full time now :smile: Just goes to tell you, got to be out there to be good, right place at right time, but you got to capitalize on it, and you scored!! Again nicely done!

11. WOW what a KingFisher! I know how hard they are to get this is a great shot!

Congratulations!

12. No kidding on the Belted Kingfisher shot! They have to be one of the most difficult birds to get close to, and it lloks like you almost have it sitting on your head. :biggrin: I actually really like the Opsrey in amongst the gulls shot. The look on its face is almost like it is embarassed to be in with those gulls.

Tim

13. Great shoots! Like others I love the KF. They have become close to an obsession for me. I think it's their call whenever I could get close they would book and laugh at me ;-)

14. I cannot have said it any better. My © WOW applies!

15. The Kingfisher is the cats meow what a great shot you are da man!

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow guys, I didn't know the KF would be such a big hit, thanks a lot!

17. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Steve...Do Me a Favor?

Before I get down there in February (and hopefully get to meet you BTW), could you get the KF to do something with that hairdo?

Also...don't forget to keep enough lead in the FISH HAWKS feet so that he doesn't float away when the tide somes in or else make sure that the anchor string is long enough so that he doesn't float away?

Great shootin :) 

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Steve -

The osprey flight shot and the portrait of the guy with the bad hair day are super, but it's the first shot of the Osprey near the gulls that really graps me. I know that gulls, presumably instinctively, know that Ospreys won't go after them, but it's still remarkable to to see them in the same image. The gulls helped you, but really nice isolation of the Osprey through the razor sharp focus.

Gordon

19. Wow - you had quite a day - well done!

20. Incredible KF shot Steve they are top on my list

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.