It's cold, dark and rainy up here in the Northwest

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Nov 16, 2005.

1. We are all waiting for a good sunny day to be able to get out and get decent shots. It's not fun to be at ISO 800, F4 and 1/25th of a second with a 500mm :Depressed

The other day I went to Goldstream Park, north of Victoria here on Vancouver Island and it's stopped raining for a moment, and the rainclouds lifted leaving just a whiter shade of clouds in the way for the sun. You get happy for so little here in the winter. This Park is famous for showing off dying salmon in November and all the birds feasting on the remains.
    original.

I didn't see any Eagles feasting like the ususally do but maybe it is to early, just a bunch of Seagulls (I don't shoot seagulls...)
    However suddenly I saw a small Annas Hummingbird and tried to get a decent shot of it as it was sitting down for a moment, it is not easy with 800 ISO to get a good crop with a small hummingbird...
    large.
    and on the way out I caught this Stellars Jay.
    OOPS I posted the wrong Jay! here is the one I wanted to post!
    original.
    and thats all I have to show for, hope you guys are enjoying the eternal sun and golden light down south :)

But when the sun comes out it's bald Eagle time up here!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Andréas

I love all three shots.

Having been a fisheries biologist in my past, the salmon shot brings back many memories of my days on the Klamath and Trinity rivers in CA.

The humming=bird shot is perfect and I really like the colors and surroundings on the Jay shot.

Nice work :)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well JF didn't leave much more to say :>)))))

Beautiful color. Love those birdies.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andreas,

I have to agree with Jim and Gale. Very excellent shots. Sometimes it's the shots you get when you really have to work for them that you appreciate the most. :wink:

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    A clear shot of the jay in that environment and with those colors for a backdrop? That's not something to complain about! That's a great shot!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful captures, Andreas. The image of the salmon is so wonderful...the DOF plays so well with the submerged stones, the moving water and reflections. The bird shots are just as wonderful...great bokeh!

7. The shot of the dying salmon is very creative!
    Good eye!

Paul

8. Andreas these are all great, but the salmon is really cool. I am glad you made it back. I sure know what you mean about waiting for the sun. It has been so dark and wet I have not had much of a chance to test my firmware update. Sun is out now but I have to work. Maybe this weekend.

9. Thanks all for the kind words BUT I just realized I had posted the wrong picture of the Jay, the one I posted was hiding part of the jay, belopw that one in the original post I have posted the one I wanted to have....

10. Andreas, that second Jay is awesome. You really nailed it. The colors are great and it is very sharp. Nicely done.

11. I really like the fish shot, too! Very unusual and nicely done. The color of the jay is really pretty. Have never seen one like that!

12. Thanks guys - it was cloudy but the Jay had those colors, it is very accurate in that light.

As for the fish it was as close I could get with the 500 still focusing and since it was so dark I pretty much had to shoot it wide open, I liked the effect though. I shot others of the fish a little further away but didn't like them as much as the first one.