1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

It's not usb 2.0

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by senna, Jun 29, 2008.

1. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I picked up a used computer for my mother in law.
    P4 1.7 mhz
    512 mb ram
    40 gig HD

$140

I allready had a 17' flat panel that was not being used. so this is a big step up from her windows 98 and whatever outdated hardware is in that machine.

So the only issue (not that big of a deal) is that it is not usb 2.0.
    Can I upgrade some how?
    Is this a harware or soft ware thing?

2. azngotmilk

azngotmilk Guest

i pretty sure its hardware.. my old laptop didnt have usb 2.0 and i bought one of those plug in usb 2.0 expresscard adapters and it workedd

3. Sure - just get a USB 2.0 card for the machine. Check to see if you have any open PCI slots on the motherboard first, then figure out what to buy. Newegg has tons of them[/url].

4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Thanks as i thought abought it that was what I was thinking.
    How much difference is there upgrading to 2.0?
    The only thing on usb right now is a printer and a web cam.

5. not a big deal if it's just those 2 devices. I'd probably put the money into a faster hard drive and/or more memory instead (512MB is slim pickings for even Win2k imo).

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.

Yes I was thinking 1 meg of ram is a must!

7. You mean 1GB, unless you're running DOS where 640kb is all you will need? :tongue:

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Yes 1 gig. Unlike the machine this one replaced, 128 meg. :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.