It's Official - Proud D70s Owner

Last Friday I got my D70s. I opted to go with the 24-120 VR instead of the kit lense. I think that was a good choice for the first lense.

Over the past week I have been shooting and learning and trying out all the new options that I now have (compared to my other camera). Wow, I love the startup time, basically none. The menu's are very easy to navigate, most of the common settings are easily changed via buttons as opposed to menu commands (that is very nice), the onboard flash is very acceptable for me, the continuous focus tracking works well.

Of course, LLD is already setting in and I will have to make do for at least a couple months. At least that is what I keep telling myself anyway. No more LENSES, No more LENSES.

So, at least now, any pics I post here will actually be with a Nikon as opposed to my old Olympus.

So here are just a couple pics taken with my new D70s:

Over the past weekend my wife and I went to our local dance hall located in Kendalia. It was closed for several years I think it just opened back up again. Anyway, here is a shot from the outside.

20378029_c866a17be7_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And I love to take pictures of fish tanks and reef tanks. The D70s auto-focus tracks well for moving subjects.

And here is one of a couple of my fish:

20845674_014ce2ac2f_o.jpg

I love the first one.....
btw...don't listen to Paul! You don't need lenses...better to have none and not want any then to buy some and want most of them. Even I keep seeing all these posts from all these great lenses and then I want them. just remember: money doesn't grow on trees, and if it does, it's not in my backyard or yours.

okay so you need a few lenses..just be careful. Lenses are addicting.

gho

I have both the kit lense and the 24-120 VR, and I actually prefer using kit lense, even though it's cheaper. 24-120 is like a perfect zoom range for general all-around photography (well, for me it is), but I didn't like the fact that it went to f/5.6 so quickly.

Additionally, I think the kit lense is actually sharper. I've also noticed that the 24-120 vignettes more than the 18-70, and has higher levels of distortion at 24mm than the 18-70 has at 18mm. I find that quite strange, especially considering the 24-120 is a lense designed for FF.

It's quite a fine lense though.

Great shot of those fish, and you did that with the 24-120? That's amazing!

Very nice photos, really like them both.

24-120 VR VR VR is an excellent lens. You will never want to take it off the camera.

G

GaryW

Nice pictures, Mark.

Your dance hall looks a little like Luckenbach.

Gary

Congrat's Mark. It is a nice camera. I've certainly enjoyed my D70. Nice pics BTW. :wink:

Thanks all for the comments.

I have noticed the with the 24-120 lense that sometimes I get extremely sharp pictures and others not so sharp. I wrote this off as I am just new to the camera and user error?

Gregory, the fish shot was taken with the 24-120. I find it odd that I can get fairly sharp pictures of moving fish but, some of the coral/invert shots so far are not very sharp at all. I am still trying to figure that one out?

Paul, I agree with your comments. Since, I do not have a nice set of lenses yet maybe it is just "Pre-LLD" for me. By the end of the year I bet I do have at least one more lense added to my collection. It is very tempting to buy a couple lower priced lenses in the near future as opposed to saving up for the nice pro lenses. I am sure many struggle with that one.

K

Ken-L

I like the kit lens, but I like the 24-120VR because it is more versatile.

I have not noticed any problems....here is a shot I took yesterday with the 24-120VR at 24mm (using a circular polarizing filter) and I am very satisfied with it.

21220286_e3ca708c8f_o.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom