Its Rookery Time Again

Hi Y'all,

Its mating seasons so I've making the drive up to the rookery at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine again.

These were taken with the D300 and the 70-200 2.8 VR + the 1.7 TC

1233810378_aKuyB-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1233811334_kkSL3-XL.jpg

1233815358_mA9TE-XL.jpg

1233814363_LeZm6-XL.jpg

1233814882_VxRzj-XL.jpg

one of the non-wild birds
1233816089_LL2Mu-XL.jpg

and for some strange reason they have gators and crocs too
1233808272_xag2z-XL.jpg

end of a rather good day
1233812206_PUF9i-XL.jpg

D

DW Brewer

Outstanding Harry. You are proving your point previously made. I will see to it that kris sees these images!

These are great shots indeed.
Care to give some advice on camera settings, focusing techniques, etc.?
I use the same lens+tc combo (on a D300s though) and I'm not getting nearly the same output as these shots you posted.
Quite possible that I am missing something else other than more practice. =S

Hey Harry, great work. Esp like the pose in number 4 but that eye in #1 is sure sharp. Looks like Mr Gator was blessed by one of the birdies?

Always look forward to seeing your postings Harry, and this is another super set. Very nicely done, sure makes me wish I could get there during this time of year.

Hey Louie,

Glad you liked the images. If you ever can make it to St Augustine between late March and early June it would be worth your time. Shooting at the rookery is an unique experience.

These are great shots indeed.
Care to give some advice on camera settings, focusing techniques, etc.?
I use the same lens+tc combo (on a D300s though) and I'm not getting nearly the same output as these shots you posted.
Quite possible that I am missing something else other than more practice. =S

Thanks for the kind words. I love shooting with the 70-200 and wish I had more opportunites to use it.

The results I'm getting are probably due more to experience than anything else. I've shoot up at the rookery for over 6 seasons now. You get much closer to your subjects there than any other place I know about. They fly in very predictive patterns. Its very easy to judge where they are headed for and to set up a capture with a good background and in the best light.

AS for settings I used the 9 point dynamic AF area, the thw AFs & C priority selection set to release, focus tracking set to normal, and the AF point selection to 11. I shoot in aperture priority mode, matrix metering and I make exposure adjustments. Shooting at the rookery with white birds in bright light results in some heavy ev adjustments of up to a stop and two thirds.

I have nearly the same settings so it's clear that it all comes down to my experience with the combo. Something I'll be working on for sure.
Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom