It's that time of year - prairie chickens

Sutherland, NE. There are four species of grouse found in Nebraska. The greater prairie chicken find their way to a "lek" or booming ground each spring to position the dominant bird for breeding. It's quite a show and sometimes they really go after it. I shot with the sun positioned more behind the birds this time to create a rim light effect. D5, 600mm f/4.0
Grouse Sutherland - 2021. FB.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Impressive action shot, Brad!!!! Really nice to see movement and interaction! Thanks for sharing!

Great shots. The Atwater prairie chickens are usually too far away to get that quality of a shot. I have a few proof of sighting shots but nothing to publish

Great shots. The Atwater prairie chickens are usually too far away to get that quality of a shot. I have a few proof of sighting shots but nothing to publish
I would love to watch the atwater birds, I understand they are critically endangered.

Sutherland, NE. There are four species of grouse found in Nebraska. The greater prairie chicken find their way to a "lek" or booming ground each spring to position the dominant bird for breeding. It's quite a show and sometimes they really go after it. I shot with the sun positioned more behind the birds this time to create a rim light effect. D5, 600mm f/4.0 View attachment 1681548
Beautiful, Brad! Reminds me of my time as a docent on the Konza Prairie!

I would love to watch the atwater birds, I understand they are critically endangered.
They are. The NWR outside of Katy Texas opens up the booming grounds one weekend a year. We have been a few times. The people with the best views had spotting scopes. The 200-500 is not long enough.

45 years and 6 days ago I got married in Missoula, MT. My best friends in TX were expected to show up, play music and help party. Unfortunately, Atwater's Prairie Chickens decided to mate early—and all my friends, biologists all, had to stay home and work. My wife has never forgiven those damn chickens.

Konza is doing their annual prairie burn right now. It smokes effects Nebraska quite a bit.
Sadly, I know, Brad. Researchers @ K-State have been trying to put in place alternatives that might help to mitigate this somewhat. Are you still up @ Grand island? I recall stopping by many years ago to meet you on my way up to Kearney and the Platte for the Sand Hills' migration.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom