Ivan's 52 Challenging Weeks of 2016. Week 8

I Challenge myself to post more. I always have a camera with me where ever I go, and I dump a lot of files on my drives but I rarely post (here). Most will be my daily grind and the sights surrounding me in this northern Canadian small prairie town, as flat, barren and bleak as anyone could imagine between November and April. With frostbit hand over heart I pledge to post as much variety as is possible but mostly it will be snapshots of what is and what happens around my town and people who give permission to post their faces.
Starting with one image for December 27 to Jan 2.
Week 1
A bridge a few miles from my home. The tracks cross the North Saskatchewan River. The rail line passing by my town is very busy year round moving crude oil from Alberta to the east and then down into the USA. It's not uncommon to see 75 black tanker cars in a single line moving slowly over this narrow bridge many times each day. There is a narrow pedestrian path along side the track with a few of jut-outs for the faint of heart should they be so lucky as to share the tracks. I usually put my ear to the old iron ribbon before venturing across. Normally the river would long be frozen over by now but we've had abnormally warm temperatures so far this year. By Christmas we are usually using the ice crossing where the ferry usually runs, but I think this year there may not be an ice crossing at all.
A pano of 4 shots. The sun is low during winter, sky and snow is blue, anything in the sun's path is more yellow than orange. The saturation button is oh soo tempting this time of year :D
p1721025051-5.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Nice pano Ivan. You really added a lot of interest to an ordinary scene. I like your description too.

I really like the story of this picture. It's a very moody picture. I also love how the light is; very soft. I wouldn't use the saturation button! :)

I Challenge myself to post more. I always have a camera with me where ever I go, and I dump a lot of files on my drives but I rarely post (here). Most will be my daily grind and the sights surrounding me in this northern Canadian small prairie town, as flat, barren and bleak as anyone could imagine between November and April. With frostbit hand over heart I pledge to post as much variety as is possible but mostly it will be snapshots of what is and what happens around my town and people who give permission to post their faces.
Week 1
A bridge a few miles from my home. The tracks cross the North Saskatchewan River. The rail line passing by my town is very busy year round moving crude oil from Alberta to the east and then down into the USA. It's not uncommon to see 75 black tanker cars in a single line moving slowly over this narrow bridge many times each day. There is a narrow pedestrian path along side the track with a few of jut-outs for the faint of heart should they be so lucky as to share the tracks. I usually put my ear to the old iron ribbon before venturing across. Normally the river would long be frozen over by now but we've had abnormally warm temperatures so far this year. By Christmas we are usually using the ice crossing where the ferry usually runs, but I think this year there may not be an ice crossing at all.
A pano of 4 shots. The sun is low during winter, sky and snow is blue, anything in the sun's path is more yellow than orange. The saturation button is oh soo tempting this time of year :D
p1721025051-5.png
Great start Ivan. I hope to see more of the prairies! In this one, the bridge is taking my view into the picture which is always a good composition.

Nice composition, from what I've seen in the photography history books, "slice of life" images are what end up having real meaning.

Last edited:
Week Ending Jan 09.
Zenfolio Album http://goo.gl/9WbQYA
A couple from a local public garden.
p1799195944-3.png

View attachment 1418578

One from my own garden
View attachment 1418579

One of these benches sits at a skate board part a block from my house.
View attachment 1418580 View attachment 1418581
A splash of color in defiance to winter.
View attachment 1418582

Last edited:
Week 1
p1721025051-5.png

nice panorama It looks cold

Week Ending Jan 09.
p1799195944-3.png

View attachment 1418802

One from my own garden
View attachment 1418803

View attachment 1418804 View attachment 1418806
View attachment 1418807

Nice pictures for week 2. I special like the one with the bench :D

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Week 1
p1721025051-5.png
Week Ending Jan 09.
View attachment 1418969

View attachment 1418970

One from my own garden
View attachment 1418971

View attachment 1418972 View attachment 1418973
View attachment 1418974
Ivan, I've always enjoyed your images, and I'm glad you've joined us in this year's Challenge.

That bridge shot is splendid as are the others, but boy - it just looks soooo cold there!! :eek: BTW, the shot from your garden - I love the DOF!

Latest threads

Top Bottom