I've been spoiled by the 85 1.4

I rented one for a week long vacation to San Diego, i shot with it A LOT.

Now I no longer have it, and none of my lenses come close. :(

All of them seem to be soft now and i'm wondering if my glass got crappier over the past week, or if perhaps the 85 1.4 has just ruined me. :(

Hmm but your other glass is really good too. I rented the 70-200VR twice last year, and it knocked my socks off both times. Eventually bought a used one from a fellow Cafe member, and still love it. It was my first priority.

The second rental was the 85/1.4 for a four-day weekend in October. It was also terrific for its own specific usage, and I kept thinking about how much I liked the bokeh even with more challenging backgrounds. I broke down and bought another used one a few months ago from another fellow Cafe member.

I didn't have a favorable experience with a 17-50/2.8 I actually bought and had to return, but I assume it was a bad sample.

Maybe sell off your 80-200 AF-S and get the 85/1.4 if you like it that much? It does a really great job at what it's designed for.

I'm almost afraid to rent a 105/2 DC ...

If I read your equipment list correct you already have the answer. Sell your 80-200 keep the 70-200 buy the 85 1.4!

I also rented the 85 1.4 for two weeks and loved it!

You're ruined.....time to suck it up and order your own. :biggrin:

Not if i want to stay married :biggrin:

Hmm but your other glass is really good too. I rented the 70-200VR twice last year, and it knocked my socks off both times. Eventually bought a used one from a fellow Cafe member, and still love it. It was my first priority.

The second rental was the 85/1.4 for a four-day weekend in October. It was also terrific for its own specific usage, and I kept thinking about how much I liked the bokeh even with more challenging backgrounds. I broke down and bought another used one a few months ago from another fellow Cafe member.

I didn't have a favorable experience with a 17-50/2.8 I actually bought and had to return, but I assume it was a bad sample.

Maybe sell off your 80-200 AF-S and get the 85/1.4 if you like it that much? It does a really great job at what it's designed for.

I'm almost afraid to rent a 105/2 DC ...

My 17-50 is outstanding IMO, but it still pales in comparison to the 85. The 70-200 i just got today and is replacing my 80-200 which is F/S. I'm actually finding that the 80-200 is a tad sharper at f2.8 which is a bit of a let down, but not uncommon. :( Bummer.

My 85 1.4 will come next, maybe in a few months, i gotta save all my pennies, it was on my list but then a great deal on a 70-200 came and i couldn't pass it up!

If I read your equipment list correct you already have the answer. Sell your 80-200 keep the 70-200 buy the 85 1.4!

I also rented the 85 1.4 for two weeks and loved it!

Well as i mentioned above (after you posted this :tongue:), I just got the 70-200 to replace the 80-200. I have to save my pennies!

STUPID NAS!

yeah....
i'll finally commit to buying one if you do...

I'm committed. There's nothing i want more as far as glass goes (ok fine, maybe a 200 f/2). You should do it, it would rock your world on the D3.

The only thing i'm worried about, is i keep hearing rumors and this and that, that perhaps there is a newer af-s version around the corner, i wouldn't buy it, but it would drop the prices of used ones more :smile:

... The 70-200 i just got today and is replacing my 80-200 which is F/S. I'm actually finding that the 80-200 is a tad sharper at f2.8 which is a bit of a let down, but not uncommon. :( Bummer.

I dunno about that being common. I don't think you should be able to notice a sharpness difference and the 70-200VR should be as good if not better wide-open in the middle on your D300. Might be a sample thing especially if it was used.

i noticed everyone loves the nikkor 85, but can't find much reference to the zeiss 85. am I not looking hard enough? not many people using it? does it just suck?

I dunno about that being common. I don't think you should be able to notice a sharpness difference and the 70-200VR should be as good if not better wide-open in the middle on your D300. Might be a sample thing especially if it was used.

Well you're right, i just read one thread on nikoncafe where a few other users chimed in that they got sharper results at f2.8 on the 80-200 than the 70-200.

It could just be my sample, i dunno, but like i said, from f4 on, it's magnificent.

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
so those factors aside, it's an equally impressive piece of glass?

safe to say that for pretty much all zeiss optics?

Just like the Nikkor 85/1.4 has almost an occult following, the same is true of the Zeiss, for which it's owners swear by it and refuse to use anything else. I love my Nikkor 85/1.4, but only for subjects sitting really still, as the AF is difficult enough to nail as it is. Trying to nail focus on a moving object without AF-S is next to impossible.

Just like the Nikkor 85/1.4 has almost an occult following, the same is true of the Zeiss, for which it's owners swear by it and refuse to use anything else. I love my Nikkor 85/1.4, but only for subjects sitting really still, as the AF is difficult enough to nail as it is. Trying to nail focus on a moving object without AF-S is next to impossible.

very very true!

Latest threads

Top Bottom