I've Got A Bone To Pick

We took the grand kids to the Royal Tyrrell Museum near Drumheller, Alberta last week. I am seriously impressed with my D7200. These shots are straight out of the camera shot at ISO 2000. No way would I be able to get these shots with my D300.
This young man was demonstrating how they preserve bones from a dig. They dig around and under the object including the media the fossil is embedded in is taken with it. They then wrap in a plaster and cotton material similar to a cast on a broken arm. This way none of the artifact is lost while in transit or handling. When they get back to the lab they then slowly, painstakingly pick the cast material away with delicate tools. As cracks are exposed, like you see here, he injects an epoxy into the cracks to hold the artifact together in its found shape.
This young gentleman is a summer student working on his degree in Paleontology. In the fall he will go back to university.

PICKING.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PICKING3.JPG

DSC_1024.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom