I've got GAS PAINS...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phyer Phyter, May 21, 2007.

1. Gas is now $1.219 per Liter. Thats $5.48 for a Canadian Gallon or $4.74 per US Gallon. Add in the difference on the $ it is $5.09 per US gallon if bought with Cdn $ Tell me there is no collusion in the market when every station across the city raises thier price the same amount at the same time. And there is absolutly no reason for the increase other than because they can. I would love to be able to live with out Gasoline, electricity and natural gas if there was a way to do it alternatively and then the utility companies could go pound salt....

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    !!!!AGREE!!!!!!
    I sure am not driving much and slower when I do.

I also use synthetic oil in my car and have for 30 years

3. I have just filled up at $8.66 a gallon, not forgeting that our gallon is 4.54 litres. I wouldn't moan to much, you might get our prices:mad:

4. Here 7.97$ per imperial gallon (4.54 litres) and 6.67$ per us gallon.

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I found this thru Google. Prices are for a U.S. gallon

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
    Norway Oslo $6.27
    Italy Milan $5.96
    Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
    Belgium Brussels $5.91
    Sweden Stockholm $5.80
    United Kingdom London $5.79
    Germany Frankfurt $5.57
    France Paris $5.54
    Portugal Lisbon $5.35
    Hungary Budapest $4.94
    Luxembourg $4.82
    Croatia Zagreb $4.81
    Ireland Dublin $4.78
    Switzerland Geneva $4.74
    Spain Madrid $4.55
    Japan Tokyo $4.24
    Czech Republic Prague $4.19
    Romania Bucharest $4.09
    Andorra $4.08
    Estonia Tallinn $3.62
    Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
    Brazil Brasilia $3.12
    Cuba Havana $3.03
    Taiwan Taipei $2.84
    Lebanon Beirut $2.63
    South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
    Nicaragua Managua $2.61
    Panama Panama City $2.19
    Russia Moscow $2.10
    Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
    Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
    Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
    Egypt Cairo $0.65
    Nigeria Lagos $0.38
    Venezuela Caracas $0.12

Jarrell

6. I just paid $3.51 a gallon. A fill-up will last me 3-4 months though...I've structured my life so that I don't drive much.

7. That's too low. I filled up last weekend at 90p a litre. Thats £3.76 per US Gallon (3.8 Litres I believe) which at the current exchange rate of $1.97 to the pound works out at $6.74 a US Gallon.

Get used to it !

Ronnie

8. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    As bad as prices are, I guess that I am glad to live in San Antonio. We have some of the lower prices around. I am also fortunate enough to live about 1/2 mile from my office so I walk to work and home for lunch everyday.

Check out this link: http://gaspricewatch.com/new/default_V3.asp

9. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    And now some of the same people that yell about the price of gas that comes fron half way round the word by ship is then refined and pumped to some spot in your state and then hauled by truck to your local station will cool off with a nice cold bottle of water that they paid $1.19 pluss tax for that can be had for free if they would just take the time to refill that bottle at home. $9.00 a gallon and up for water! Go take your photo beside a gas pump with $3.00 a gallon on it. Someday soon it will become a conversation peice! China, India, Asia are comming on line as major consumers of GAS. The world population is still going up. We cain`t get any new refinearys built in this country because of a bunch of tree huggers. We have oil fields we can`t tap for the same reason. Most every one reading this is driving some gas hog they have no need for. Every morning I watch lots of school buses pass my farm near empty because a bunch of brood mare moms chose to drive little Amy and Billey to school every day for one silly reason or another. etc etc

10. HAC_X

HAC_X Guest

Yep, was $1.22 here in Calgary today.. Thankfully I gassed up last week, before we headed out to Banff , and I'm down to just about 5/8 of a tank.
    Still getting about 5.7 l/100km on the Neon, mixed. That's about 40MPG US..
    Not too shabby for a 11 year old car.
    I feel sorry for the folks with SUV's..
    I agree, its a racket..
    Cheers
    Harold

11. I have removed my intial comment to replace it with:

While in the end, a lot has to do with supply and demand, the regulatory climate has not helped any. No refineries nor nuclear power plants have been licensed or brought on line since the 1970s. We can differ as to who is at fault. There's a lot of blame to go around. After each oil embargo, we were told that we should be energy independent, but all the half hearted attempts by government and energy companies alike led to nothing. There was no incentive, since there was enough oil available in all it's variations , to do anything useful to really diversify our energy supplies and use. National security as it relates to energy has been overlooked, probably on purpose, as long as I can remember. The system is broken and needs to be repaired. In view of geopolitical pressures it is vitally important for us in the USA to become energy independent. <You can read between the lines what I am not writing>

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  12. While some of what you say is true, I am not sure what that has to do with the price of gas going up 30% in just a few weeks. I also don't understand why you would call those who choose to drive their children to school "brood mare mom's." That is a fairly derogatory term for some ladies that you don't even know and who may have legitimate reasons why they have decided to drive their kids to school. It seems to me that when the gas goes up that fast there is more at work than meets the eye. I certainly wouldn't blame our mom's for that. By the way I an not a "tree hugger" nor do I drive an SUV.

I hope that we can keep this thread civil.

13. ppphhhhhhhhhhht I wanna car like yours! A fill up may last me 2-3 days. I use my car for work.

14. The only logical reason is that they use "What the market will bear" method. Apparently studies have shown that complacent canadians will not change their habbits until gas hits $1.50/L. I have worked directly with in the oil industry for the last 10 years and every time something happens.... that is a reason to up the price of gas. So logic would dictate that when the reverse of that reason to up it happens then gas should go down, but no that is another reason for gas to go up.
    When Katrina hit and shut down the refineries in New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico it is said to have caused a 10% reduction in oil production in North America. Dont tell me that 10 refineries in NA couldn't increase production by 1% each and there would never have been a problem. The oil companies artificially create shortages and so on to drive the price up.
    Sorry for the long post but this is a pet peeve of mine. I know I shouldn't complain as my income for the last 10 years is a direct result of sky rocketing oil prices, but this really burns me.

15. Nooooooooo, you don't want a car like mine, lol! I drive a Ford Expedition! It's my lifestyle that's key....I live in a vibrant downtown area that allows me to walk nearly everywhere I need to go. I work just a few miles from home and only part-time, so I drive very very little. When we were relocating this last time, I decided I wanted to eliminate our second vehicle (or use it as little as possible), and we chose a city and home that fit in with those plans.

16. Yeow!! :eek: That's the battleship of SUVs, isn't it? Good thing you don't drive much. I drive a Subaru Forester with 30+ mpg on the road and 23 in the dity. Carolyn's Acura with 200 hp got 35mpg to and from Alabama and beats me in the city...but I still got a receipt yesterday for $52.00 to fill it up.

The record for me so far was in Italy last may.....$75.00 to fill it up! :eek: Ah, well it's that or sit at home and never have had the chance to see the Pieta and the Coliseum and Assisi. It was worth it.

Rich

17. My understanding is that most of the US refineries are located in that area so no 10 refineries could not have increased production 1% each. At least that is what the oil companies are claiming. I didn't know that until Katrina happened.

Now I just have to wonder how, with so many refineries shut down for short periods due to hurricanes and various mechanical issues, did the oil industry manage to record the largest profits in the history of business at the same time.

18. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I own a 1950 original Texaco "Ethyl" gas pump which has been reconditioned by a shop specializing in this kind of an antique in Nashville, TN. It shows Ethyl is 37 1/2 cents per gallon!

19. I don't know there but if we hadn't any tax, our gasoline would cost even less than yours. 3/4 of our price are taxes, so if we pay 1.30€ / litre, the gasoline effective cost is just about 0,3€ / litre. In SOME highway rest areas one or two years gasoline arose up to 1.5€ / liter which is more or less:
    1.35x1.5x3.8 = 7.69$ per us gal or 9.18$ per imp. gal.

20. I drive 110 miles to and from work each day the gas prices are killing me, I drive a Toyota Corolla that is pretty good on gas, but gas is one of my top three bills a month at this point.