I've looked at it so long...

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by MurphyD, Jun 28, 2007.

1. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    I can't see what's right.

This is a candid of my niece with a mix of ambient and bounce flash. She was looking at someone to her right and not posing.
    Have I overdone the skin smoothing? I used Woody's skin technique with several variations trying to get the look right.
    Does it still look natural?
    Did I overcorrect her eyes?
    Should I totally kill the BG or bring it back some? It is desaturated and blurred.
    About the only thing I am sure I like is the natural look of her lightened teeth.
    I am letting this one sit for a day or two, so please comment and critique to your heart's content. Nitpicking is allowed and appreciated.

David

Original
    [​IMG]
    PP'd
    p887374812-5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  2. Logan

Logan Guest

i think that the eyes are a little bright and the skin has been made too perfect... she has the halo effect reminiscent of PPed blurred BG... just my views... mind posting the original for a comparison and possible help from others?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes I think it is overdone

As Logan suggested , please post the oringial

4. nshape

nshape

Jul 25, 2006
    NB Canada
    She is pretty..i love her smile.
    I also think her eyes and too white, they dont look natural .
    Cood capture!

5. Logan

Logan Guest

well this is just a few minute (mabe 4 minute max) edit and you can crop how you will... very pretty girl, just helping accentuate that beauty, not change/mask it. i just left the crop alone...

dtuj.

on second look, it looks like i left the skin a little orangey... hmm ill repost a little later with some more free time...

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi MurphyD

Very nice image in a difficult lighting environment. Here is my 2 cent retouch

1) background blur and levels
    2) crop
    3) smooth skin kodak airbrush plugin
    4) shadow blemish removal
    5) whiten teeth
    6) hue/sat/levels

[​IMG]

Regards

RFC

7. Just use the PS Tungsten filter. 1 click and done.

8. Here is a 3 seconds MAX Photoshop fix.
    As with everything in life, no need to go crazy with 15 things to retouch (skin, eyes, levels, ping, pang, skin, jing, jang...). Keep it simple.

Just go in Image-Adjustment-Photo filter-Cooling filter 80 and choose 40% (choose the percentage that makes you happy)

[​IMG]

9. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    I like that last one, very natural from NB23

10. David,

I think the adjustments that you made the first time would have worked if you have made them on a separate layer, then reduce the opacity about 50%.

11. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Hi all
    Everyone, thanks so much for your input. Lots of great ideas and I really needed all the different takes. Hopefully, I can spend some time with this project (several more to do) this weekend now that I have several ideas to use.
    David