j&k cameras

As far as I can see it's a shop with very interesting prices. I have put the link in my favorites. I am thinking about buying a 70-300 lens and maybe I will try it here.:biggrin:

Thanks, that is the information I was looking for. I'll stay clear.

I was searching for a D40 body only, and J&K came up on the web search as the only place offering that. I was immediately suspicious and this info confirms my suspicions.

Does anyone know of legitimate sellers offering the D40 body only?

I think the D40 only comes as a kit with the 18-55mm lens. You could always try to sell the lens separately later on. Actually, I have found that the D40 and the 18-55mm lens make a dandy substitute for a P&S; I've since added the 55-200mm VR to that and carrying all three around is surprisingly lightweight, since the camera body and both lenses are small and not heavy at all. I was surprised at the image quality of that kit lens, as I wasn't expecting much at all. It focuses close, it focuses well and produces nice images. Sure, this lens is no match for my 17-55mm lens but it does a surprisingly good job nonetheless.

I think the D40 only comes as a kit with the 18-55mm lens. You could always try to sell the lens separately later on. Actually, I have found that the D40 and the 18-55mm lens make a dandy substitute for a P&S; I've since added the 55-200mm VR to that and carrying all three around is surprisingly lightweight, since the camera body and both lenses are small and not heavy at all. I was surprised at the image quality of that kit lens, as I wasn't expecting much at all. It focuses close, it focuses well and produces nice images. Sure, this lens is no match for my 17-55mm lens but it does a surprisingly good job nonetheless.
Thanks, Connie. I'm sure you are correct. However, I'm looking specifically for a smaller camera for my wife to mate with the 18-200VR. She currently uses my handed-down D70s with a 28-200 lens which she likes because it is very light. However, on the few occasions that I have gotten her to use the 18-200VR she has gotten much better pictures (I think it's the VR). But she complains that the 18-200 on the D70s is too heavy, and she seemed to like the D40/18-200VR we tried at Ritz Camera yesterday.

A used D40 body will probably pop up before too long.

Hey Jim,

Have you tried j&r (not j&k :wink:)? Its' not one of the very high-rated or cheapest online stores, but sometimes they have items that others don't have... I see that they have the D40x as body only, but apparently not the D40 (they have 2 different kits with it though).

Hey Jim,

Have you tried j&r (not j&k :wink:)? Its' not one of the very high-rated or cheapest online stores, but sometimes they have items that others don't have... I see that they have the D40x as body only, but apparently not the D40 (they have 2 different kits with it though).
Philippe, there are several good places to get the D40 kit. I have dealt with J&R on memory cards and have no complaints. But nobody seems to sell the D40 as body-only.

The 18-55mm lens that comes as part of the kit with the D40 is VERY small and lightweight! I've found that it's easier to fit the camera body, 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR lenses into my smallish messenger bag than it is the D40 and the 18-200mm VR.....
Sounds great, but I would never get my wife to change lenses! And, of course, she would never consent to my being so extravagant as to buy a new camera and two new lenses just for her. You don't know my wife.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Connie. I'm sure you are correct. However, I'm looking specifically for a smaller camera for my wife to mate with the 18-200VR. She currently uses my handed-down D70s with a 28-200 lens which she likes because it is very light. However, on the few occasions that I have gotten her to use the 18-200VR she has gotten much better pictures (I think it's the VR). But she complains that the 18-200 on the D70s is too heavy, and she seemed to like the D40/18-200VR we tried at Ritz Camera yesterday.

A used D40 body will probably pop up before too long.
I'm looking to get the exact same setup for my wife, but I think I'll get the D40X since the D40 is not available without the kit lens.

I'm looking to get the exact same setup for my wife, but I think I'll get the D40X since the D40 is not available without the kit lens.
D40x, body only, c.a. $700.

D40+18-55 lens, c.a. $550.

Assuming the 18-55 to be worth about $100, it looks like you're paying about $250 just to go from 6 to 10 MPx when you buy the 40x. For my purposes I don't want or need 10 MPx.

May as well bite the bullet and spring for the D40 kit, as I don't think Nikon packs them any other way.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom