J1 gets a wide angle mod :)

Today I pulled apart an old lens I bought for $5, it had mould in it so I decided to use the elements for something different. I use a glue gun to fit the one element into a filer adapter for the J1 and made quite a mess :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the J1 at 10mm.

and with the lens adapter....

It makes quite a difference and should be worth a few daylight tests for landscape shots :smile:

Wide angle

That looks like great mod. Any advice on how to go about making one? What did the element you used look like?

That looks like great mod. Any advice on how to go about making one? What did the element you used look like?
My suggestion would be to buy an old tele-zoom lens and pull it apart. The one I bought was manual focus, no contacts and only 70-105mm or something like that, a really old beast. Because it had signs of fungus on the front elements I didn't want to leave it at home with my other gear so I pulled it apart at work to use the elements for magnifying while checking electronic components.
Most of the elements that came out magnified but two of them made things smaller and were convex lenses.
I'm pretty sure there are people selling plenty of old lenses that are crew mount or people won't touch them because of fungus. Just be sure to clean the elements well when you pull them out because I think the fungus can spread to your other lenses. :smile:

Wide angle

Thanks. Maybe I will come across one that will work. Certainly worth a shot. For me, the lack of being able to shoot very wide is one of the few drawbacks of the CX format.

Wide angle

Cool. I appreciate the follow up. I will see if I can find one of those or something similar. If you have the time and inclination to post any more shots you take with this adapter, I for one would be interested.

JPS

Not bad at all, Desmond !

Did you find out the focal length you get with the modif ? ...and, did you try to correct the -heavy- barrel distortion ? If so, how much FOV do you EFFECTIVELY gain, after correction ?

:smile:
J-P.

Not bad at all, Desmond !

Did you find out the focal length you get with the modif ? ...and, did you try to correct the -heavy- barrel distortion ? If so, how much FOV do you EFFECTIVELY gain, after correction ?

:smile:
J-P.
I haven't worked it out yet - here is an overlay when compared at the same sizes
Also I haven't tried correcting any distortion yet.

I think we are looking at a difference of 0.75 magnification so maybe like a 7.5mm lens instead of 10mm ? I'm not too sure but will sleep on it- it's bedtime here :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom