J1 with Leica M lens

I spent $20 on a dummy Leica M to Nikon 1 adapter. It is essentially an extension tube with the Nikon 1 bayonet on one end, and the Leica M bayonet on the other. I am using my wife's J1 in manual mode, shooting RAW. There is no meter and MF of course. I actually pulled out my handheld meter for a ballpark exposure, and then fine tuned by chimping. Shooting RAW gives a bit of flexibility as well.

So if you get the adapter, you get to use your other lens, in this case a Leica M 35mm f2 Asph, with its quality and character. This particular lens acts like a 94.5mm for FOV, so great for portraits; and with the fast f2 aperture, a bit better DOF control and low light possibilities.

The compromise you make is the loss of metering, VR, AF, EXIF data, movie mode, and any sort of auto-exposure mode.

I would say that if you have the lenses already and you want to use them, it's worth the $20 if you are okay with the aggravation. I wouldn't think that it is a good idea to go out and buy lenses for other systems with the sole purpose of putting on a Nikon 1 camera.

Jeremy

12749346185_608efaa6e2_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kitty resting by jcAOY, on Flickr

Looks like $20 well spent! It's great to get extra use out of the glass you already have.

Now, are the claws on that cat painted?

Latest threads

Top Bottom