J3N (Jen) Does Hollywood

This set is from a shoot I did at Woody's place last Saturday and are part of my Homage to The Golden Era of Hollywood series. The model is Jen with Hair by Samantha Huntley and MU by Patricia Finch...cigarettes by Camel. I found out they actually still make non-filtered cigarettes!!!:smile: :

436753406_44f4b43f5a_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

438964776_0c172a1a5f_o.jpg

433173004_98777e0e8f_o.jpg

Great pics. I love the post processing.

Thanks Mike. Besides the tremendous amount of skin work required, the techniques for which I learned directly from my mentor and friend Woody, getting the Hollywood B&W look is something I have spent many hours on.

Your comment is very much appreciated so.....thank you!

No prob. I went over them three times to try to find something to nitpick. Couldn't find anything though. I have to say the one in your avatar is still one of my favorite. The model is gorgeous as well.

Excellent stuff - these are brilliant Stuart!

Did you use a bare bulb on the first one? A grid maybe?

In organizing my first real shoot, I have gained a whole new respect for you and what you do. There's a LOT of work involved. So much so that one could easily lose focus of the photography itself.

Stu....1 & 3 Definitely. I didn't like her expression in #2 ..... IMHO.
Great lighting and those eyes are tact sharp!

Tim

I normally like images in colour but for this series I prefer the B&W ones. Well done again Stu. They are all good.

J

jasonlawton

I really like these. I love this period of photography. I must admit I recently was bowled over by the imagery of Aguilera's 'Candyman'. This period and hollywoods glamour look just cant be matched IMO. Great shots

Jase

Absolutely amazing Stuart!!! I'm really digging 1 & 2. Nice work!

Thanks a lot Keith!:smile:

I love #3! Great work as usual.
Yep....that was the only one that Jen has responded to so far and is also my favorite. Thanks Anthony!

Excellent stuff - these are brilliant Stuart!

Did you use a bare bulb on the first one? A grid maybe?

In organizing my first real shoot, I have gained a whole new respect for you and what you do. There's a LOT of work involved. So much so that one could easily lose focus of the photography itself.

The first was shot with a grid....40º I believe.

Leading up to a shoot like this you scramble for days or even weeks to get everything together. I think that once the camera is finally in your hand you have to block out the rest and take a few deep breaths and.....focus.....no pun intended. You kind of get on auto pilot after the first few minutes and all of the prep work fades in to the background.

Really prep and PP are the hardest parts.

Stu....1 & 3 Definitely. I didn't like her expression in #2 ..... IMHO.
Great lighting and those eyes are tact sharp!

Tim

I agree with you Tim. I don't care for her expression in #2 either really. The main reason I posted that one is because I spent two hours doing eye work, fixing nail polish, lipstick and generally pulling out every PP trick I know.

From the standpoint of the before and after I am happy that one turned out the way it did. The expression could definitely be much better though.

Thanks!

Stu, those eyes... they're incredible.

Thanks Erik!

I normally like images in colour but for this series I prefer the B&W ones. Well done again Stu. They are all good.

Well these really should all be in B&W to be period correct.....definitely. I just couldn't bring myself to convert the eyes to B&W in the second photo!:biggrin: Thank you Banhup!

I really like these. I love this period of photography. I must admit I recently was bowled over by the imagery of Aguilera's 'Candyman'. This period and hollywoods glamour look just cant be matched IMO. Great shots

Jase

Thank you for the comment Jason. I'll have to look in to "Candyman". I confess I haven't heard of that.

This period of photography and in particular the works of Hurrell and CS Bull have been very inspirational to me.

When I am finished with this series I hope to take what I have learned and apply it to more contemporary photo's.

Stu you are really doing a wonderful job of recreating this period. i think all three are great.

Thanks Eric. It's been a fun and educational process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuart, you've done an excellent job - that first photo is fantastic! Is her mole a pasty or actual - if actual, what a bonus for this mood shooting.

The only thing I'd suggest is: girls who wear red nails and red lipstick with satin strapless dresses NEVER wore pearls. Pearls were worn by the 'good girls' in sweater sets. If you check all the old Hollywood photos, you'll see that the 'bad girls' in shots like this wore jewels. Get yourself some nice rhinestone diamond jewelry for this type of a shot. Even just earrings. Or else, just take the pearls off, but those are two different styles and were/are not worn together.
This is why President's wives always wear pearls - to indicate they're part of the 'good girl' set. Jackie O saw the benefits and started the trend.

Patricia did a superb job on the false eyelashes!

Stuart, you've done an excellent job - that first photo is fantastic! Is her mole a pasty or actual - if actual, what a bonus for this mood shooting.

The only thing I'd suggest is: girls who wear red nails and red lipstick with satin strapless dresses NEVER wore pearls. Pearls were worn by the 'good girls' in sweater sets. If you check all the old Hollywood photos, you'll see that the 'bad girls' in shots like this wore jewels. Get yourself some nice rhinestone diamond jewelry for this type of a shot. Even just earrings. Or else, just take the pearls off, but those are two different styles and were/are not worn together.
This is why President's wives always wear pearls - to indicate they're part of the 'good girl' set. Jackie O saw the benefits and started the trend.

Patricia did a superb job on the false eyelashes!

Wow...good catch Sandi. Thanks for the heads up. Like Woody said.......breaking out the clone tool!!! I never thought about that, but it makes perfect sense.

This is exactly the kind of helpful critique that I need in order to improve and the main reason I post my work here. Without constructive criticism it is nearly impossible to improve as a photographer.....very much appreciated!!

And yes......the mole is real, but we did emphasize it during MU.

Thanks Sandi!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stu, phenomenal. I love the colors in the second one...red reds, white whites, and flawless skin...tremendous...

Hey John! How are you? Thanks for the comment. I did do more PP than usual on that one. I kind of made it a project to see how far I could go. Too bad I didn't have a better photo to start with!!:smile:

G

Gr8Tr1x

Fantastic Stuart. Amazing how you are able to capture the look of the era. I would also like to see some processing to make the photos look like the were shot on film from that era and maybe some scratches and marks to give them a look like the photos have been around for 60 or so years. Just a thought on a different way to present them. You have nailed these.

Latest threads

Top Bottom