Critique Jackson Pollock Abstract

One last environmental florida image for a while. Our fall colors are fading rapidly!
I entered this one in our county fine art show- 130 pieces or so, mixed media. Really nice show. This piece actually took third.
In print, from a distance, this really does have a splatter art/ Jackson Pollock type look. That was my goal anyway- judge actually saw it that way as well.
Closer in, the detail available with our new cameras is amazing- and deep.
It is a great time to be a photographer!!
gary
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice shot. But in my opinion, it lacks the randomness or chaos that Pollock has. Of the big 3 abstract expressionist (Pollock, Rothko, Judd), Pollock is my least favorite. Your photo has that quality that can only be found in nature. You are fortunate to have that area near you.

Once the Covid craziness is behind us, I want to go to Caddo Lake in east Texas for a similar enviornment.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I like this one a LOT! For me, it is hard to get the Spanish moss to stand out. Here is does! The overall vertical patterns and colors are excellent!

What a great final image!

Was it a virtual show or were their actual prints and viewings? If so, how big did you print this?
This is an actual show, although unfortunately almost no one will see it. I did this actually last minute, so printed 20x30"- which is my normal hang on the wall size. This image actually holds up, and to me looks better, even bigger.

This is an area I float by a lot- and a nice thing about going there many times is the light is always different. This time, the moss glowed- usually it doesn't.
Thanks for the support.
A blind chicken finds corn once in a while.
gary

Connie, thanks. This image just fell together, I still remember clicking and thinking- don't screw this one up gary.
This was a mixed media show. First place was a colored pencil piece. Second place was an oil painting. Both were spectacular. But it is like comparing hammers and pancakes. In a mixed media show photography seems to almost never win, and often never places. I still think photography is thought of as a second class or lower class of art. Heck- all we have to do is click a button- anyone can do it. A real artist is talented. A real artist has to practice, study, work.
I am helping a friend "get into" photography. He is a pretty talented painter. Two weeks into his journey, he is discovering it is not as easy as he thought.
gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom