Jaden likes summer, too!

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
  2. Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Terri, all three are very nice, but you nailed the first one perfectly. Great shot!
  3. Ahh, the simple joy of summer as a child. Imagine being enthralled with a sprinkler and a red wagon.

I especially like the first one as well. Great fill flash with the filtered sunlight.
  4. DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Jaden is adorable geat job on all three shots
  5. Thanks for showing some recent pictures of Jaden. I also like the first one very much, but then there is no picture of Jaden I wouldn't like :wink:
  6. A great "little boy in the summertime" series, Terri. That first one is wonderful, and the lighting is excellent combining the filtered dappled sunlight and fill flash.
  7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

these r just super (whata good lookin little guy)....your photogin is over the top, PERIOD!!!
  8. Beautiful work Terri, each one is special.
  9. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great light

Water and a wagon.

Doesn't get any better than that for fun
  10. #2 and #3 are cute. Now #1 is just great!
  11. What a happy kid! It does not get better than that. Thanks for sharing all your grand-kids with us.
  12. These are beautiful, all three, but I'd have to agree with all that the first is an absolute stunner. Brilliant...
    I see by the EXIF data you used a D200, but which lens did you use?
  13. paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    All great. Number 1 is the type of shot I want to be able to reproduce with my family. Great work and any explanations appreciated.
  14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Thanks again....

It's so much fun to have so many of you follow and enjoy my family, whom I love and adore so much. Little Jaden is at the cutest age and such a joy. I'm glad you like this little glimpse into his life.

One thing these photos don't show is the negative side of two. His favorite word now is NNNNN0!!

Of course, as a grandma, I know that the NNNNO stage is very short lived and I chuck every time I hear him say it (behind his back, of course).

Thanks all for your friendship and kindness.

I used the 17-55. It is on my camera most often and is a much loved tool!!

Good luck. I am still very unsure of the best way to do people shots outside. I just keep trying. This one was done in filtered light. I had the flash off the camera (held by my daughter). I think I had the flash compensation set to -1. Here is the rest of the exif. Don't know why the flash used info says NO.

Date/Time 21-Jun-2007 17:33:42
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D200
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 45 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
  15. Those are excellent photos. Just a fantastic job with the exposures...
  16. Terri, beautiful shots...I think our water bill triples in the summer time...looks like Jaden's parents experience the same...
  17. Hi Terri,
    I noticed on your EXIF data (Shown Below) that you also have the contrast set to soft (-1) and sharpness hard (+2). Is this your standard setting and have you tried using alternate settings for your portrait shots..??? Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions or that I'm being nosy but I have to say that you portrait shots are superb and I would like to get a base line setting (as I'm sure many others will) to try...

# Focal Length in 35mm Film = 67
    # Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
    # Gain Control = n/a (0)
    # Contrast = soft (1)
    # Saturation = normal (0)
    # Sharpness = hard (2)

Thanks Terri....
  18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    I'm happy to answer your questions. So many people have helped me that I am so flattered to finally be able to help someone else.

I always shoot in raw, so those settings are easily changed. I have found that I like the contrast set to soft, especially for portraits. I use capture NX and can fine tune the contrast better with the contrast setting in New Step/light/contrast brightness.

As for the sharpening, I like to see the photo very sharp when I first preview it. When I get into NX, I turn off the sharpening there and do my sharpening in Photoshop once I finish the raw conversion in NX and open my image in CS2. I use Woody's sharpening techniques that are in the Tutiki section.

Hope this helps.