Jam!

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    As in jammed shutter. Googling 'Leica shutter jam' leads me to believe it is not entirely unheard of. It hit me halfway into my second roll of the evening while 'street shooting' the First Fridays monthly art event in downtown Phoenix.

I took a shot, then tried cocking the shutter. I thought it was at the end of the roll, but the next roll, the shutter wouldn't fire, and taking off the lens revealed the shutter a little bit open. Hmmmm. :frown:

So off to Tempe Camera Repair on Saturday morning, where my repairman :rolleyes: , Joe, flipped the rewind lever cocked the shutter and voila! Good as new! Well, a used kind of new...

The jam happened here:

[​IMG]

And, unfortunately, I rewound the film with the shutter open....

[​IMG]

Well, next time I will know.

2. Ouch! Glad it was an easily fixed problem. The film advance lever on my VC stuck halfway on the last frame of a roll but pushing in the film rewind button resolved that potential fiasco!

3. Chris,

While it may not at all be related to the problem you encountered, I have a Leica wannebee FED-2 that requires that you cock the shutter before you use the speed dial. If you do it in reverse, you damage the shutter mechanism.

4. Chris will do just about anything, including jamming his shutter in order to toss in a little random flair into his imagery.

5. Glad to know it's fixed!

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have never encountered a shutter jam before, but of course I'd heard of them. And yeah, I do find the sparkley stuff interesting in that picture. The line however, goes through almost every picture on the roll. To top it off, I way underdeveloped the roll. I was timing for trix in my head, but the film was delta 3200. Grrrrrr.

Thanks for the comments!

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Especially when it looks like somebody dragging a stick through each frame. Yuuk.

9. Hey Chris, what leica are you shooting?

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    This one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Man, I'm telling ya' Chris, I have had more discombubalations with my latest roll through the CV!:eek: You name it, blown exposures, lens cap left on, yada yada yada! The first roll went smooth as silk. Familiarity breeding contempt, maybe?:rolleyes:

12. So, have any of you masochists tried this style of shooting with an SLR?

I was just looking up the hyperfocal distance for the 45P, which is currently mounted on my FM3a.

13. Yeah, I do it with my little EM (favorite slr body by the way, small and unobtrusive - almost as good as my rf for street shooting). Check out hyperfocal focusing on a 35 or 28 - lotsa latitude there! I just bought a 28mm ais from Matthew and gonna give it a whirl as soon as my leg heals up a bit more. Oh by the way slr's make a lot of shutter noise for street type stuff - great for making sure everyone's awake!:biggrin:

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm glad my camera does not have a lens cap.

I've shot with a 21mm f/2 lens on the OM1 'western style' (like a six-shooter.) It does well cause the depth of field is enormous. I use the split prism screen to focus more carefully with the 50mm. Your FM3a should do well, just remember to stop down.

15. i've read some stories of holes being burned thru the cloth shutter from the sun shineneng into a wide angle lens without its lens cap...that'd be a 'jam' too...:Sick::cool::biggrin:

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I did that to a Canon shutter curtain with a Sigma lens. Cruel, huh.

17. Yeah after my visit to the DOF calculator, I realized the 28 2 I have is a better candidate.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That sounds reasonable. At f/16 it's like what, 4 feet to infinity?

19. Wide angles are easier, no doubt but here's one done with the 105 ais set at hyperfocal distance. I was seated in the driver's seat and the shot was taken through the open passenger side window.

[​IMG]

20. That looks great to me.

Reason I was thinking the 45P is it is so small. Not that I really think the sound of an SLR firing off is that big of a deal anyway. In many situations nobody will notice.