James Nachtwey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ottrott's Human, May 12, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I imagine that many here are familiar with the amazing work of war photographer James Nachtwey, but for those who aren't please see his website at the following link.

Witness

If you are a Netflix member you owe it to yourself to add the documentary "War Photographer" to your Queue.

2. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    his speech at TED was very powerful. i was captivated at my computer for 25 minutes watching him take the viewer through the lens. let me see if i can dig it up.

3. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
  4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Just added to my queue!

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Stuart and Blair. What a moving talk that so eloquently underscored his imagery.

6. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Blair,
    Thank you for contributing the link. James doesn't do a lot of talking in the documentary.....he's obviously a very reserved man......this speech gives great insight in to what an incredible person he is. Of course his photo's do that even better.

Thanks again.

7. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Expect to be deeply moved.

8. Agreed... that is a great documentary... my wife was fairly bored, but I enjoyed it thoroughly... what amazes me is he places himself right in the middle of crazy people, who are killing other human beings and lives through it. You would think those doing the killing would turn on him because he's an American. I know he's been shot several times but sheesh... :eek:

9. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    He is very reserved. Like bwilder said, he'll be in the middle of a warzone or an area where a massacre happened and he'd have the same demeanor as someone reading a book. Seems like nothing really phases him anymore.

Great photographer, a decent documentary. Worth the rental.

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I don't get that at all. He may be a reserved speaker but that belies his involvement with his subject matter. Lets call him a professional, an adult, a soft spoken advocate of non-violence. This man is a national treasure.

11. Well said, Mike. I saw that documentary a couple of years ago and have followed his work since then, or, I should say, "the work he's made availible online since then."

12. Yeah, wouldn't it be incredible to sit down with him one day and go through all the photos he's taken... WOW