Janet - id help req'd - front yard shots

The weather has been mainly overcast, with some very light rain - idea shooting weather for small birds.

Female Rufous Hummingbird on a Cedar
D2X 500/4 1.4x 1/80s f/5.6 ISO 400 manual exposure mode
44389669.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

White Crowned Sparrow sitting on a California Lilac
This one is one of the sharpest photos I had taken with the D2X, but it did not resize well. I can see jaggies in the the lower wing.
D2X 500/4 1.4x 1/60s f/8 ISO 200 aperture exposure mode
View attachment 10124

I am not sure about this one - a thrush? Janet - help!
D2X 500/4 1.4x 1/250s f/5.6 ISO 400 manual exposure mode
View attachment 10125

Beautiful Rory. You always get such sharp and interesting pictures. We also are having dull over cast weather here but I would never think of it as a good opportunity to shoot these small birds. I guess that is why you are the master.

Rory,

Excellent shots. Can't help with the ID, but I do have a comment about the jaggies problem. I have seen this several times on small bird shots in the exact area. I don't know whether it's just the sharply defined edge on the wing feathers or what, but is isn't just you, or this particular shot, or the D2X.

Flew said:
Rory,

Excellent shots. Can't help with the ID, but I do have a comment about the jaggies problem. I have seen this several times on small bird shots in the exact area. I don't know whether it's just the sharply defined edge on the wing feathers or what, but is isn't just you, or this particular shot, or the D2X.

Thanks Frank. Now that you mention it, I recall that too. The original is really something - just jumps off the screen. My sons, who are pretty blase about my photos, both commented on it.

james thiel said:
Beautiful Rory. You always get such sharp and interesting pictures. We also are having dull over cast weather here but I would never think of it as a good opportunity to shoot these small birds.

Hi Jim! I think the glass really helps.

Rory, these are fantastic shots!!! I really love the hummingbird. I believe the last one is a juvenile varied thrush, but I'm no expert, so you probably better wait for Janet's expertise before you label it as such.

Rain here today too - even in sunny Kamloops! :)

Fantastic shot of the Hummingbird Rory. They are all great but the Hummer really stands out. I was up in your neighborhood a couple yrs. ago and visited your Elks Lodge in Nanaimo had the greatest time there. I hope to visit it again the next time I'm up there.
Pete

PEPPER PETE said:
Fantastic shot of the Hummingbird Rory. They are all great but the Hummer really stands out. I was up in your neighborhood a couple yrs. ago and visited your Elks Lodge in Nanaimo had the greatest time there. I hope to visit it again the next time I'm up there.
Pete

Hi Pete

When you come through Nanaimo next time I would be honoured if you looked me up too.

first of all, Rory, INCREDIBLE shot of the hummingbird...that's one of the best yet. Wow.

Now, for the ID...its definitely an first-year fledgling bird, and you're right about it being a Thrush. In fact, its an immature American Robin!

It might also have been an immature Varied Thrush, given your location, but I think there would be some hint of the neck collar, even in such a young'un. I really need to keep a spare ID book in my office for moments like these..!

jczinn said:
first of all, Rory, INCREDIBLE shot of the hummingbird...that's one of the best yet. Wow.

Now, for the ID...its definitely an first-year fledgling bird, and you're right about it being a Thrush. In fact, its an immature American Robin!

It might also have been an immature Varied Thrush, given your location, but I think there would be some hint of the neck collar, even in such a young'un. I really need to keep a spare ID book in my office for moments like these..!

Thanks Janet :!: So that is what an immature Robin looks like.

Latest threads

Top Bottom