Japan earthquake and Nikon

Just read on that Nikon`s factory is in Miyagi. The Natori City (Miyagi prefecture) factory opened in 1971, made all the Nikon EM and FG, the F5, the D1, D1H/X, D100, D2X, and as the tsunami hit, was making the monumental Nikon F6, D3S and D3X.

I suspect the launch of the new D700 will be delayed if it was made in Miyagi as well. Stay tuned.

That factory is called the Sendai plant. The biggest problem they have is that the workers may have lost their homes and families and that they may be without power for a while, but the factory and workers in that factory are not injured and the factory itself is not heavily damaged.

That factory is called the Sendai plant. The biggest problem they have is that the workers may have lost their homes and families and that they may be without power for a while, but the factory and workers in that factory are not injured and the factory itself is not heavily damaged.

The fact that the factory sustained little damage is actually pretty amazing if you ask me. I just saw some video footage of Natori and the city of 70,000 is pretty much wiped out.

I was at my Local Dealer who was able to get me an 85 1.4G I have been waiting for a long time today. He told me to be glad I got one, as he was told by the rep to order what ever he needed ASAP, as most likely the Sendai Plant may in really bad condition.

According to Rob Galbraith, this is plant employs about 1100 workers and is responsible for the D3 series camera bodies and all of the pro grade lenses. The Thailand factory makes everything through the D300 series and low-grade lenses.

I personally think we will soon see shortages and price increases until they can get a new plant up and running.

Sorry for the bad news, but we should all hope and pray for the best, but prepare for the worst.

GenoP

While the news of this factory is interesting...the story is and our concerns should be for the people there. Our gear is simply gear...we can do without, that is not a consideration. Who cares if Nikon gear gets more expensive in the short run...this is just photography equipment. Possibly thousands of lives have been lost, families wiped out. My prayers are to those in that area, may the Lord bless them and give them comfort in this time of need.

While the news of this factory is interesting...the story is and our concerns should be for the people there. Our gear is simply gear...we can do without, that is not a consideration. Who cares if Nikon gear gets more expensive in the short run...this is just photography equipment. Possibly thousands of lives have been lost, families wiped out. My prayers are to those in that area, may the Lord bless them and give them comfort in this time of need.

This is very true. Japan will have many many issues for a very long time. Families have been devistated. It may take years for Japan as a nation to recover. All consumer electronics from that nation will be in short supply.

My heart and prayers go out to all of Japan. May they have the strength to work this difficult time.

This is true, and I do feel for them most and I would not want to be in their shoes right now, but there are many of us people that make our living with their equipment. It could make a huge differnce for many of us if we need to purchase a replacement.

GenoP

Why do you care more about Japanese people than Libyans, Egyptians or for that matter the horrors going on in other parts of the world as we speak? I am not trying to take way from the suffering and death in Japan, but to bring up "why are you talking about camera equipment" on a camera forum is not necessary. We all know what has happened (well most of us, considering people above who posted things that are the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the Japanese have told us) in Japan. We should all take time to help in any way we can, but this is a Nikon forum. We discuss Nikon cameras here. Stop berating people for talking about the subject.

The fact that the factory sustained little damage is actually pretty amazing if you ask me. I just saw some video footage of Natori and the city of 70,000 is pretty much wiped out.

I often find it amazing that destruction and damage from natural disasters can spare things, while tearing apart other things.

Of course, Nikon may be playing down damage reports to keep stocks from losing value, but the fact that no one was injured bodes well for the factory report. If they have families and homes to go to, they should be relatively well off and on the way to recovery.

Here is a link to a map posted on Thom Hogan's site:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=k&....166145,140.949955&spn=0.095285,0.222988&z=13

It shows a map of the area and video links to destruction.

I personally think we will soon see shortages and price increases until they can get a new plant up and running.

Sorry for the bad news, but we should all hope and pray for the best, but prepare for the worst.

GenoP

What new plant? Where? Why replace one that Nikon themselves say is fine?

This is true, and I do feel for them most and I would not want to be in their shoes right now, but there are many of us people that make our living with their equipment. It could make a huge differnce for many of us if we need to purchase a replacement.

GenoP

I doubt you will have any issues finding what you need. You may pay more, but this isn't going to end Nikon. I know all too well about making a living with the gear. Your not the only one, nor am I, who need this gear to generate income. If their facility was impacted to where they can't produce the needed items, I am sure they will make arrangements to get it done elsewhere. It will take some time...lets hope for the best.

Why do you care more about Japanese people than Libyans, Egyptians or for that matter the horrors going on in other parts of the world as we speak? I am not trying to take way from the suffering and death in Japan, but to bring up "why are you talking about camera equipment" on a camera forum is not necessary. We all know what has happened (well most of us, considering people above who posted things that are the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the Japanese have told us) in Japan. We should all take time to help in any way we can, but this is a Nikon forum. We discuss Nikon cameras here. Stop berating people for talking about the subject.

Chris, first you can re-read my post, I am not berating anyone, so get your facts straight. I find it a bit uncomfortable, when thousands may be dead, lives altered forever, that a discussion is brought up about how a Nikon factory might be affected and we "might" have price increases or difficulty finding stuff. Is that really what the emphasis should be on when discussing the Quake in Japan and the resulting Tsunami, if so, its a shame even if on a photography forum.

I have no problem discussing the factory and how it might affect Nikon's output. I just find it a bit selfish and ill timed to talk about gear costs or possible shortages of gear when such a disaster has occured. If you don't see it that way, thats you. It comes across as insensitive.

If one of the Oil refineries blew up down there on the gulf, and you had family hurt or killed in the accident, how would you like to read folks discussing the possibility of rising oil costs, and how it effects their life with more emphasis than on those who are dead/dying/lost, etc... Now do you get my point?:confused:

Why are your bringing up Libya and the other places that are rioting? That has NOTHING to do with this subject and does nothing to butress your statement. You can go on feeling the way you do...I don't really care...just don't think by me making a post putting emphasis on people vs. camera gear justifies you telling me to stop berating folks.

FWIW the damage to Natori wasn't as extensive as I initially thought. The main part of the city, including the Nikon plant, wasn't hit by the tsunamis. However, damage to the coastal areas of the city, as well as to surrounding areas, is devastating. The damage to the infrastructure alone will take quite a while to fix.

Isamu, I have been watching the news here in the states...and see them speak of when the Quake occured. I haven't heard them state when exactly the Tsunami hit though? They showed some horrible video of the wave coming across the land and covering up a road, that STILL had cars driving on it. I am assuming these people did not know it was coming. So, my question, was there any warning for the impending Tsunami or was it within minutes of the Quake?

So glad you and your family are well...and hope other families will get some good news in this horrible event.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

In general, the government, broadcasters, etc. are all pretty good about warning about tsunamis after an earthquake hits, and I know that they were warning about it as soon as this one hit. However, I understand that some areas were hit by the first tsunami less than a minute after the earthquake. For example, that would include Natori which was hit by at least two large surges. (There's a photo showing Natori flooded, but another tsunami coming in.)

I don't know if Rikuzen Takada city was hit that quickly, but it doesn't matter. The city of 23,000 and was totally inundated and the government is calling the damage there catastrophic. I think the topography there is similar to that described in Pearl Buck's short story "The Big Wave"; i.e., a small coastal plain with the ocean in front and mountains in back.

The thing is, the aftershocks and tsunamis continued all night and the last big tsunami hit at about 7 am, over 15 hours after the initial earthquake.

It looks like there was a highway about 1/2mi or so inland that stopped the brunt of the tsunami from hitting the main part of Sendai. It's the one shown in some of the most played footage, and I'm sort of wondering if it was specifically constructed as a tsunami-break, as it seems to have been exceptionally effective at that purpose.

Nikon's issues will stem much more heavily from supply, shipping, and from employees actually being able to work. I don't think we should really be thinking about this right now, but rather than the physical issues, the real concern for us will be the effect on the yen.

+ 1

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

+ 1

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I think if you re-read what I wrote, you would realize I was really saying that if a person was considering a purchase, they may want to do it now before there was a shortage or price increase.

My concerns are with the people of Japan first, but that doesn't change the fact that we will having to be prepared for things to change on our part too.

GenoP

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Isamu-San the whole world is feeling for Japan and its peoples plight. We hope that relief will come soon to the poor people that have been hit so hard. In a micro cosmos I feel hepless that I can't come and help it is so far away and I would just be in the way, not knowing the language and infrastructure. There is no country that is as prepared as Japan for this kind of catastrophy, and I hope the help will reach soon. You are all in my thoughts, and of course the workers and familes of the Nikon Sendai Factory.

FWIW the damage to Natori wasn't as extensive as I initially thought. The main part of the city, including the Nikon plant, wasn't hit by the tsunamis. However, damage to the coastal areas of the city, as well as to surrounding areas, is devastating. The damage to the infrastructure alone will take quite a while to fix.

Thank you for the "on the ground" report. My concern is for those affected by the disaster. It's a lot of people due to the widespread destruction and cohesive nature of Japanese society. I would expect that everyone has a friend or relative who was affected in some way. There are reports of transit disruptions in Tokyo with one commuter walking 12 miles to get home.

If the next great thing from Nikon is delayed, so be it. I can get by with what I have. Everyone else will have to wait as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom