Japan earthquake and tsunami - before and after satellite images

Yes, those images are very telling.

I heard some expert saying that this earthquake was a once in a millennium event. He said that some written records and studies of geological strata indicate that the last time an earthquake/tsunami of this scale occurred in Japan was in the 9th century.

Another expert was saying that the earthquake had caused the land to sink by as much as 70 cm (more than 2 feet) in some areas. That's why you can see areas where the coastline has changed.

I heard the coast had moved 8 feet. Right or wrong, not sure.

I read that as well. They didn't say if it was 8 ft gained or 8 ft lost though. In the same article it stated the earth has also tilted 4" on it's axis due to the quake. Not sure what changes that will bring as well or if it's no big problem.

A very telling perspective. Large movement would be expected - in an 8.s shake here in 1855 there was upthrust of 6.6m and horizontal of 12m which are still quite visible in places.

Very sobering images. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the affected people of that area.

I wonder what effect that earthquake had on our planet in general? I heard that the one in Indonesia altered the rotation of our planet in some way. I wonder if the shifting of these plates will cause a domino-like effect on other plates, ultimately causing another similar event in another region (like California)?

I read that as well. They didn't say if it was 8 ft gained or 8 ft lost though. In the same article it stated the earth has also tilted 4" on it's axis due to the quake. Not sure what changes that will bring as well or if it's no big problem.

What I have heard is that the quake has moved Japan's main island about 8 feet towards the east, shifted the Earth's axis by 6.5 inches, and shortened the day by 1.8 microseconds. That's a hell of a lot of energy!!!

What I have heard is that the quake has moved Japan's main island about 8 feet towards the east, shifted the Earth's axis by 6.5 inches, and shortened the day by 1.8 microseconds. That's a hell of a lot of energy!!!

I'm sure there has to be some future physical effect to the tectonic plates in other areas of the hemisphere.

Those numbers aren't very big, given the scale of the earth...

But at the same time, THOSE NUMBERS ARE HUGE!!!!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom