1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Japanese Garden (HDR)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by digitalzed, Sep 20, 2008.

1. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    My first attempt at HDR. To "cartoony"?

2873387691_466a39abac_b.

2. Jeff,

It's very easy to over-do early HDR attempts. Personally, I think this image is too "cartoony" and lacks enough contrast. I would suggest using HDR with with diminished strength.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I don't know what "cartoony" means, but, if you look at the histogram, the tones have all been pushed to the middle and above. If you keep the upper tonal levels where they are and spread the lower and middle levels downward a bit, this becomes a nice image. [might add a touch of vibrance too]

4. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    what HDR are you using?

Jon

5. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Thanks Bob. I let Photomatix do it's thing. Cartoony is my made up word to say the picture has the look of a cartoon, like many HDR images I've seen. This can be fun sometimes but also not right depending on what you're trying to do. I did not want a cartoon look to this picture.

6. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Photomatix. All automatic. Any tips?

7. Sapiro

Sapiro Guest

I think its a cool shot.............so here's a good question...whats HDR?

8. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Any tips?

What version of Photomatix are you using?

What kind of bracket did you shoot?

Please post your best original.

9. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Is this better?

2876792058_08493beb04_b.

10. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    3.x

-3 through +3

This is the best original in terms of the histogram. Converted from RAW to jpeg, no other PP

2877081778_ea75baabc6_b.

11. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Photomatix

You do know that Photomatix will process RAW images, don't you?

I think your latest post is a great improvement over your first post, but not yet there.

Personally, as a rule of thumb, I try to use HDR software (I use Photomatix 3.0, also) only to ENHANCE visually. And I have found that most images shot in situations where contrast is greatest, produce the best HDR images.

You're on the right track. Be patient. You'll get there.

Here are some of mine:

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker/highdynamicrangephotography

Good luck!!!!

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Jeff, with just a little shadow recovery and some other minor touchup, your "best exposure" is, by far, the best image. Just my opinion, but I don't see the need for Photomatix in this case.

13. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Thanks Murrey and Bob. I did convert the RAW images in Photomatix. So when should you use HDR if not for shots like this?

14. jlangiew

jlangiew Guest

Jeff,

The Halo effect is an HDR thing, too... I'm battling this as well. Not sure how to make it go away, other than post processing further.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.