Japanese lens prices keep going up

Since I'm kind of new to Nikon world so I'm still in the lens buying mode at this moment. I keep my eyes on the market for the lenses that I'm interested in, I've been monitored the prices for a couple lenses for a while but after the Japan quake, all lenses that I was monitoring went up quite a bit.

Why is this? The dealers must have sensed the supply shortage and blindly raise the prices for all Japanese lenses. All prices are based on Amazon prices.

I also monitored the eBay prices, all popular Japanese lenses have higher bidding number and prices.

Looks like we'll all suffer from the Japan quake:mad:

Here are the lenses I was monitoring:

Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro: was $885 now $984
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8: was $684 now $779

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesnt suprise me in the least. I dont think its retailers capitalizing on the quake. I think you'll find that availablity parts that are used for the manufacturing of those lens has been affected if not the manufacturing of the lenses themselves. This leads to a shortage of supply. Short supply + Normal demand equates to an increase in prices. Sounds like ordinary economics to me. Is it fair given that there is most likely stock on the shevles? No, but when that stock is gone and the shop cannot re-supply they lose revenue so they make up for anticipated losses while they can.

Of course if the USD is struggling against the YEN this could also account for increased prices on existing stock.

I know a website in Australia has stated that existing orders placed for a listed price will be supplied at the increased price because the cost of the supply went up due to the quake.

Nikon prices have been going up pretty good since the economy tanked, I'm sure this will make it worse though.

My prediction is that not only will prices increase but you'll also see less stock. Production of the D700, D3s and D3X has been suspended. With rolling power outages and fuel shortages, it may take longer than predicted to return to production.

Another prediction is that new camera R&D will be slow as Nikon concentrates on getting back into production and rebuilds it's supply chain. With all the problems they face I would think normal production of the D3s would be more important than research on the D4.

Another prediction is that used equipment prices will also rise. I don't need any gear but if I did I'd buy it now.

hehe.

i'm glad NPS had their end-of-financial-year sale in Oz going when the quake hit.

i got a total of ~$3k discount on a D3s and 14-24.

still had to pay full whack for a new 200/2.

I've been buying a few things here and there as I can. I figured supplies would become tight as inventory levels get low and there are less items in production.

I feel for the Japanese people I hope they can recover and get back to some form of a normal life.

Looks like we'll all suffer from the Japan quake:mad:

Jacob, saying you are going to suffer from the Japan quake, and then following this with a mad face, is a bit self centered. Did you lose your house or family? No. You're just going to have to pay a few more dollars for a lens. Not really suffering. Please think next time before you say something so insensitive to many people.

Jacob, saying you are going to suffer from the Japan quake, and then following this with a mad face, is a bit self centered. Did you lose your house or family? No. You're just going to have to pay a few more dollars for a lens. Not really suffering. Please think next time before you say something so insensitive to many people.

We all know internet doesn't always convey thoughts properly. Don't jump on his back because of how you interpreted what he said… :rolleyes:

all last week I tried to bye 85/1.4G...imposible or over 2 800 in amazon(now going down), so I choose old 85/1.4D, it's great lense but...

I have watched the prices of the TC's skyrocket. Before the disaster the import TC-14 was $299, now they are $469. The TC-17 has gone up even more. I'm not going to complain too much though, my house is still standing and my family is safe.....

The new "G" (24, 35, 85) is limited production on demand. And production place is
japan only. (ok, the lens hood is plastic from thailand) The problem will not be the
price question. The problem is the production itself. Canon wrote to its reseller
partners these days, that the supplies could be problematic, because there is
no alternate facility out of japan for some hardware components. I think Nikon
will have the same "problem".

But as the other here said. This is the most insignificant problem now...

pray for the japanese people.

You know, yes it is bad over there, real bad, and that sucks!

Saying oh you'll have to pay more for a lens not really suffering, well I am sorry, but Every extra dollar spent on one item, means one less for something else and to some that may be suffering to them!

Stop trying to make everyone else feel bad for how their lives are lived. With the amount of money the US donated to Japan, I am sorry, I have made my contribution and then some! When there are still Millions living on the streets HERE without much more then a box!

Yes the entire world is going to SUFFER in some shape or form from the quake there, maybe not at the same level as those in Japan but suffer someway.

I guess if you are living on easy street, and have excess cash laying around then no I guess paying a more for a lens isnt a big deal at all. Must be nice to live like that, the majority of the rest of the population has to worry about things like that...

Not only are the lens prices going to go up, its normal but alot of other goods are as well, top that with the rising fuel costs, and global uncertainty on other events, plant shut downs both abroad and here due to supplies, its going to get real tight...

Sorry if I offended anyone but I speak my mind....

Sorry if my statements offended you but this is a Nikon lens discussion after all. If the increased prices will benifit the people in Japan then I have no objection with that. But keep in mind these extra $ will just go to the retailers pocket since I'm sure they got their stock before the quake.

Thanks for the heads-up, since all lens prices have gone up already. I decided to stop my lens buying process and donate my lens budget to Red Cross for people who suffered in Japan.

Another prediction is that new camera R&D will be slow as Nikon concentrates on getting back into production and rebuilds it's supply chain. With all the problems they face I would think normal production of the D3s would be more important than research on the D4.

If the normal Nikon release schedules are being followed with the D4, it was expected in a couple months. Any R&D would have been locked down by now. They would have been in the process of ramping/retooling the factory for it's production.

Why is this? The dealers must have sensed the supply shortage and blindly raise the prices for all Japanese lenses. All prices are based on Amazon prices.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. It's the same market mechanism that makes soon-to-be-replaced models drop in price. I've heard nobody complain when they were able to pick up a brand new D200 for $600 or a new D90 for $800.

I'd rather see prices subject to supply & demand than being stuck at MSRP.

How come Sigma seems unaffected? Don't they have factories in Japan as well? I see that their lenses are still selling for the same price and stores seem to have plenty in stock.

The thing is, if the seller has the lens in stock and upping the price, he's taking advantage of the quake. He bought x amount of lenses for y price. And if he haven't sold all of them, he doesn't need to import more lenses(which I'm sure cost some more, which is a good thing).

EDIT: Saw that Jacob made this point earlier

How come Sigma seems unaffected? Don't they have factories in Japan as well? I see that their lenses are still selling for the same price and stores seem to have plenty in stock.

My guess is that Sigma made a few batches of each model 10 years ago, and ever since these lenses just circulate between dealers and folks who buy them and then send them back. :tongue:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom