Jared says Sorry Nikon re: Z series

Well
#1 - It is Nikon's 1st generation FX mirrorless.
1st generation anything will always have issues. The Canon might have better AF, but it has other issues.​
For a 1st generation camera, I think it did quite well. No "major" issues.​
Though the 1 card slot is just baffling, when the high consumer level D7xxx has 2 slots.​
I expect the 2nd generation of both Nikon and Canon to be MUCH better, fixing the issues of the 1st gen cameras.​

#2 - Like Sony 5 years ago, building a new lens landscape takes many years.
Though one could argue about Nikon's decision of what lenses to make first, vs. Canon.​
The slow release of the 70-200/2.8 being the most painful, for a pro. If you want the pros, you need to get the native 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 out FAST.​
I was surprised that the 24-70/4 was the first lens out, and not the f/2.8 lens. That kinda points to the mid-market that the Z6 and f/1.8 lenses seems to be aimed at.​
#3 - Camera features to market segment
It might be a Nikon corporate strategy of release order; mid market first (Z6/Z7), then entry (Z50), then pro (Z1?).​
So the Z6/Z7 might be testing the market for the later pro Z1.​
And yes, the Z6 is on my consideration plate, but so is the D750 and the higher resolution but heavier D810 (used). The Z7 is way over my limited budget.
Defining my long term strategy is what is holding me back from pressing the button.

Last edited:
I think the question is will the marketplace give them the time. Sales fo all cameras are down but Sony is much lessthan nikon or canon. I think in 5 years one of three will no longer be making cameras

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Sony made a strategic move years ago. Remember a time when Sony made the sensors for other camera makers (particularly Nikon) but didn't yet have cameras of their own? They saw an opportunity and took it .. if Sony can make the sensor, why not make the entire camera. And here we are.

I guess Jared is a pro and needs the tools the Sony's provide now vs the Z. The other issue is he needs views. Look at his videos from raving last year about the Zs and the limited Nikon glass he loved. Similar to Thom H. Nothing like stirring the pot. '

End of the day buy what fits your needs and eco system. Can all but professionals afford to drop Z/Nikon and move to Sony?

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
An example of the ever more desperate world of the YouTube photo "Gurus" desperate for clicks in a sector where interest is plummeting.

Controversy = clicks = cash rewards.

I drift through life without the wisdom of these videos. My photography does not seem to suffer.

I've noticed all these Youtube personalities thrive on conflict and controversy. Forum debates were annoying enough back in the early 2000s, now we get these so-called "influencers" just vomiting their opinions on the internet. I like Sony for travel and portrait work, but no way I'd give up Nikon for action and flash photography.

Real Name
Chris
I’m a no nonsense no BS type person. I don’t have any brand loyalty and I will shoot best regardless of what I’ve shot in the past. I pretty much lost all respect for this guy because of the issues she brought up he didn’t even understand or know about how to mitigate his complaints he talks about it being difficult or slow to move the focus points but There are options to skip points so it moves faster or you know, just touch the screen where you want to focus. The complaint about the glass he made was 1.4 vs 1.8, not even a full stop difference and with the new cameras ISO can cleanly make up for the difference and save you weight and fork factor. I’m sure you all know where I stand on single cards as we have discussed it before. The ONLY point he made that I actually agree with is the battery pack vs vertical grip.. I guess Eye AF as well as I do agree it needs work but mostly this is just click bait and the dudes a moron

I have never heard of this guy and didn't bother watching the video.....I'm sure he's like that Tony whatsisname and others who are simply pushing out YouTube "reviews" in order to make money and make themselves seem to be really important and real "professionals" when in fact they are not. I think they call a lot of these people internet "influencers" or some such. Sorry, doesn't work on me!

At any rate, for over a year and a half I watched and waited when Nikon released its Z6 and Z7 and looked at the initial roadmap for future lenses and thought, "let's wait a little longer and see....." As a longtime Nikon user (since the 1980's) with a bunch of Nikon lenses and gear at hand, of course I was interested in moving forward with Nikon and its venture into mirrorless..... Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the "roadmap" of future lenses as it was updated and I was also not all that excited about what I was reading about the cameras themselves. No thanks, I'll pass on an FTZ adapter that would turn many of my lenses into manual-focus only! My eyes are too old for that now. This November I finally stopped waffling around, waiting and watching, waiting and watching, ad infinitum, and made my decision to go with Sony and its A7R IV and a trio of lenses which would work for me in the way I want now and with a system which already offers other lenses that I will eventually be getting in the future because they fit my needs and shooting style.

I love my new gear, really do love it and am still exploring what I can do with it, but yeah, to be honest, I am also still feeling very sad about how with their move into mirrorless, Nikon wasn't able to offer what I wanted and needed right now.......

Now if I could only develop the muscle memory and the hang of putting my finger in that new position on the new, differently-located button on that new camera body -- not at all where I've put it for so many years with Nikon -- for removing a danged lens from the new body..... LOL!!!! Over a month now and I still automatically, reflexively, put my finger where I expect the release button to be.....and it's just not there, have to consciously stop and think and adjust finger placement.....

Changing from Nikon to Sony system because Nikon Z doesn’t support AF with AF-D lenses is no doubt coup for Sony but it want make suddenly AFD lenses auto focus on Sony.

Changing from Nikon to Sony system because Nikon Z doesn’t support AF with AF-D lenses is no doubt coup for Sony but it want make suddenly AFD lenses auto focus on Sony.

Absolutely right, which is why I no longer have any Nikon lenses and at the moment only three native Sony lenses which do what I want on the Sony camera.....

Now if I could only develop the muscle memory and the hang of putting my finger in that new position on the new, differently-located button on that new camera body -- not at all where I've put it for so many years with Nikon -- for removing a danged lens from the new body..... LOL!!!! Over a month now and I still automatically, reflexively, put my finger where I expect the release button to be.....and it's just not there, have to consciously stop and think and adjust finger placement.....

Just like using Olympus and Nikon, at the same time. My Nikon muscle memory is confused when I use my Olympus.
  • Zoom ring turns the opposite direction.
    • This one can be REALLY BAD if you zoom with muscle memory, as I do.
    • The Sigma lens drove me absolutely nuts, and I quit using it in frustration, because I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and missing shots. But for some reason, it has not been as much of a problem with the Olympus lenses.
  • Lens mounts/unmounts in the opposite direction.
  • On/off switch in a very different location, so I just leave it on for the entire shoot.
  • The "rec" button is in a slightly different spot on the Olympus, and I keep hitting the wrong button, when I go to adjust my ISO.
    • Both the Nikon and Olympus have been reconfigured so the "rec" button activates the ISO change.
I think the magic number is 3-4 months of active use to develop muscle memory.
But, to unlearn decades of muscle memory, probably a lot longer.
After a year of using the Olympus, when I remove the lens, I still keep wanting to turn the lens on my Olympus in the wrong direction.​
That Nikon quick one-hand motion, is soo engrained that I don't know if I will ever be able to unlearn it.​

JLH

An example of the ever more desperate world of the YouTube photo "Gurus" desperate for clicks in a sector where interest is plummeting.

Controversy = clicks = cash rewards.

I drift through life without the wisdom of these videos. My photography does not seem to suffer.
Thank you, now I don't have to write the same thing. "Look at me! Look at me!" I too manage to carry on without the benefit of all these YouTube video by these self proclaimed "Experts".

Latest threads

Top Bottom