Jedediah Smith Wilderness Area

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Greg's knee is starting to feel a bit better after knee surgery earlier this summer, so yesterday afternoon we decided to drive to an area that is about an hour and a half away from our house to take a walk in the woods.

This area is called the Jedediah Smith Wilderness area. It is on the west slope of the Teton Range. You get there from the Idaho side of the mountains. I'd hiked there as a young girl a few times, but wanted to see it again. It was even prettier than I remembered it. The woods there are so lush and the limestone features are very interesting. There are some windcaves you can hike to, but we didn't make it that far yesterday.

The "wildlife" in a couple of the photos, is my miniature schnauzer, Zoey. The canyon we hiked in probably doesn't have that many hours of sunlight during the day. The sun was setting at about 5:30 p.m. yesterday.

original.gif

View attachment 248648

View attachment 248649

View attachment 248650

View attachment 248651

2. terri....
    1. glad that greg's knee is coming along
    2. these are awesome shots
    3. you are so lucky to live close to all these scenic areas

wonderful imagery
    thanks for sharing these with us

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Terri,
    I enjoy the photography and the scenery of many landscapes, but some of yours make me feel as though I'm right there. The first one in this set hits me that way -- I'm waiting for the dog to either bark at me or turn and run along the trail.:wink:

Thanks for taking us along on your hike.

4. Very pretty Terri and beautiful country around there. I had it on my list to get to the Tetons last fall or spring. Maybe this fall

5. Hi Terri, a beautiful set. Just love that country.

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Beautiful scenery and great shots. Like the wildlife. Glad that Greg's knee is improving. I like the "wildlife".

7. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    Beautiful Teri. Looks like Zoey was having a great time as well.

8. Wonderful shots, Terri! I always enjoy seeing your images. Were any of these taken with the Sigma 10-20?

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Greg. I am lucky to live where I do. I'm glad you enjoy seeing my photos.

I'm glad you liked me including the dog in the photos. I almost used one that didn't have her in it, but decided I liked the dog shot best.

The past two years, the leaves have been pretty around the first part of October. It would be a nice time to come.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Louis. I love that country, too. It's so peaceful and wild.

Thanks so much. I hope Greg's knee continues to improve. It's not where he would like it to be yet, but we did hike a couple of miles each way. Glad you like seeing my dog in the photos.

Zoey had too much fun. She would probably take on a bear if we came across one. She's a fiesty little thing. Thanks.

Thanks, all except for the last one were taken with my D200 and Sigma 10-20. I just got my D200 back from repair and decided to test it out. It worked perfectly!!

11. I wish I had such surroundings! Nice photos!

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I'm sure it is totally different from the beauty of your world. I'm certainly not a big city sort of person, but from your photos, NYC has a beauty of its own. Thanks.

13. Hullo there Terry

Hi Terry, nice to see your post, must be a great part of the US. I have been lucky enough to visit your country a couple of times.

A quick shot of where we live in Southern Australia...an early spring storm was brewing...... hope you enjoy.

2841782951_96704f19e6_b.jpg

14. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Terri,
    These are some great shots of a beautiful part of the country. It is nice to be so close to such places.

Ken

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Beautiful clouds in your part of the world. The colors are so pretty, too!!

I agree that it is wonderful to live near such beauty. Thanks.