Jeff and Nancy Engagement

Jeff is a co-worker of one of my friend's ex-girlfriend. Kinda' funny how Facebook keeps you in contact with all sorts of people. Anyway, the wife and I packed our gear and headed to Santa Cruz last Sunday, and boy did we have a blast with Jeff and Nancy. We'll be shooting their wedding (outdoors, live band, all the accoutrement) next month. :smile:

Here's a few... more will pop up on my blog in a few days once my copy of CS5 shows up and I can finally diptych and triptych some of my other images.

C&C welcome and appreciated. If you're not critiquing me, I'm not learning.

1249719065_qrCHa-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1249741507_TpkhM-XL.jpg

1249719966_9Dtzx-XL.jpg

1249739567_z6fhf-XL.jpg

1249736371_C2sJo-XL.jpg

1249748619_Hckt2-XL.jpg

Great set! My only nit is that I caught myself looking for the ring on her hand in #4 (cropped/composed out) and #5 (shot from the right). That said, I now have 2 more things on my list to watch out for.

Chad, thanks man! Honestly, I never caught that, but not it totally bugs me. I still love the shots... maybe as just a portrait shoot... but they don't scream "engagement" to me because I can't see the ring. Maybe next time I'll have her put the ring on her right hand and I'll flip the picture in post. LOL!

Shaun, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not! LOL! But what I can tell you is that shooting the ring that close, at f/10, shows every frickin' particle of dust inside of my lens. That shot had to be touched up for like 10 minutes in Lightroom to remove all of the dust. Anyway, the bride-to-be, Nancy, really loved the color of the rocks at the beach, so I opted for this. I think she'll like it. :biggrin:

Shaun, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not! LOL! But what I can tell you is that shooting the ring that close, at f/10, shows every frickin' particle of dust inside of my lens. That shot had to be touched up for like 10 minutes in Lightroom to remove all of the dust. Anyway, the bride-to-be, Nancy, really loved the color of the rocks at the beach, so I opted for this. I think she'll like it. :biggrin:

Mike, I was being partially sarcastic and a total ***! :redface: I was mostly referring to the rusty, "thing", the ring is on... It's a great shot, but I'm not sure the object brings out the beauty in a wedding ring... or maybe I'm just too schmaltzy... :biggrin:

wiggins2497 - It's a 60mm f/2.8 AF-D Macro. I think this shot was at f/9 or f/10 from about 8-9" away.

Shaun - haha! I was actually going to post earlier, "Are you being serious? Or just a smart ***?" LOL!

In hindsight, placing the ring on a rock with some green moss or something would have been a little less "harsh" and a little more natural. But like I said... the bride-to-be loved the colors of the rocks and so forth, so I had to go with it. :biggrin:

Oh, seriously! That is a ROCK the ring is on! Doh... I saw it as some sort of rusty pipe or railroad spike or something. Feeling even more sheepish now... going away...:redface: :tongue:

I saw it as ...railroad spike

Me too after I saw the railroad shot.

And Mike - thanks for posting them, I never really thought about the ring before so I learned another lesson. Sometimes its easier to see little things in other peoples photos. That is a real benefit of sites like this with good members.

Me too after I saw the railroad shot.

And Mike - thanks for posting them, I never really thought about the ring before so I learned another lesson. Sometimes its easier to see little things in other peoples photos. That is a real benefit of sites like this with good members.

I 100% agree. 100%. I learn something from other people's photos way more than I learn from my own...

...probably because I look at most of my own shots and simply hate them... so I don't critically look at them. LOL!

I 100% agree. 100%. I learn something from other people's photos way more than I learn from my own...

...probably because I look at most of my own shots and simply hate them... so I don't critically look at them. LOL!

Do you ever find that when you look at your own pics, you have all these ideas for how to process them, and then you get into it and you forget? I always forget to look at the details: For example, I was working on some kid pictures and was finishing up and my wife comes in and says, you forgot to clone out the stains on his vest... oops. :biggrin:

Haha! I think I'm the other way around. I have all of these ideas and all of these things I want to do, and then when it comes to post processing, I remember like 90% of the stupid little details, and flat out forget the things like adjusting white balance. LOL!

Plus, this particular shoot I had a massive dust spec on my sensor, and it was in every single one of my shots. So I spent a good deal of time cloning that out.

Great set mike!

I love #5, I just wish they were almost 1.27 inches closer :tongue: but it's an awesome shot! Can't wait to see weddings photos!

And you need a huricane blower! Those things work wonders for all that dust. Plus they're just fun! :tongue:

I actually have a blower... and I had it with me that day!!! I just didn't see the dust until we got home and looked at the screen.

I have a bad habit of changing lenses WAY too much, and because of that, I get lots of crap on my sensor in the middle of a shoot. Oh well. Hahaha

I actually have a blower... and I had it with me that day!!! I just didn't see the dust until we got home and looked at the screen.

I have a bad habit of changing lenses WAY too much, and because of that, I get lots of crap on my sensor in the middle of a shoot. Oh well. Hahaha

Don't worry, I change lenses a lot too! I used to use both my cameras to shoot and just left the lenses on each one but then I decided that shooting with my d300s all the time was a lot better idea than shooting with my d300s half the time and my 40x the other half!

Latest threads

Top Bottom