Jennifer D700

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by TCMony, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    2750479281_43a9a90400_b.png

The sun rose a little faster then I would have liked. I do like the look she is giving me, but it was more of my eyes are hurting rather then a pose.

2. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    This image shows a lack of attention to detail IMHO.

The top of the model's head is cropped.
    The necklace is misplaced around her right breast.
    The tilted horizontal elements make the model look 'off balance'.
    The horizontal line bisecting her head is distracting.
    As Woody indicated in his critique of another image, there appears to be little or no skin texture.

I do like the general pose, but the wardrobe is a bit odd.

These are my personal opinions. Take them with a large grain of salt.

3. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Well it is a good thing that this is not my main source of income. Thank you for the tips. I will try to look for those in the future. No offense taken.

4. I like the picture overall...well, maybe except for the lips. Pretty girl. Well done, I say!

joey

5. I know one thing, this girl has definitely mastered the art of not squinting under direct sunlight. Of everything about this shot, that's impressing the heck out of me.

I think Scott's comment about there being a lack of attention to detail is very instructive. This is not a BAD shot... there are a lot of things working in your favor. You have a good basic understanding of what you want so be encouraged.

Remember that you're not there to push the button, you're there to THINK.

6. I think that out of the things you have said over the last day, this is the most important and something that I will take to heart. I still find myself thinking about camera and flash settings and not as much about the picture that I am about to take. I noticed that with a senior that I took this weekend. Her mother asked if she could fix her hair that was out of place. This is something I should notice, but I am too busy focusing on other things. I know, I need to have my camera and flash settings down pat so that I don't need to worry about them. Unfortunately, I am not quite there yet. But getting closer...

7. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Dido, I just need to take more time and not worry about getting more shots. If I can get less better shots then I will reduce my time on the computer sorting.

8. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I'm sorry if I came off negative, it was not my intention.

You won't find me commenting on images unless I see something that my $.02 will be useful. At the same time, in this section I will be more to the point and hold the images to a higher standard. I hope my contributions get the same treatment. I'd rather have one insightful and to the point comment than two pages of 'great shot' one liners.

Woody's comments are again right on the money.

9. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you very much. I welcome comments and tips. In the grand scheme of things I know very little about portait photography.

10. The only things I don't care for in this image are the top of her head being cropped out and her lips being parted (they look parted anyway).

Her clothing would be considered typical in my neck-o-the-woods and I really like the pose. I like that the pose seems almost spontaneous and the fact that the neckless has landed where it has adds to that feeling... at least for me.

Good work.

11. I really like the warmth and the crisp-quality of this photo.The feel of the light is just right!

I would recommend, as others have mentioned, some more attention to detail, though.

I still think it's a great photo, regardless, however.

12. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    TCMony,

thanks for posting the image - great critiques for all of us to learn from :smile:

13. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you, I have not really spent to much detail on model detail, I have been a nature photographer for years so I spend too much time worring about the background. I have been photographing models for only two years so there is a lot I have to learn.

14. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    I thought I knew a lot until I posted these shots. I am so appreciative of the comments and it would take a personal attack to affend me. I am glad that we can all learn.

15. I notice the vertical line in the background passing through her head and the shadow under the chin.
    I like the pose, placement of the hands, the body shadow on the steps and her clothing (necklace too).