Jennifer fixed with NX2 and CS2

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by TCMony, Aug 11, 2008.

1. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    I appreciate all of the comments and help I have received from my latest post. I wanted to submit an image that has applied all of the comments. Please let me know what I have left out. I closed the lips, narrowed the waist, and controlled the levels and curves. Let me know what you think.

2755660530_65ebc740a3_b.jpg

2. Maybe I'm being nit-picky here, but the outline of her arm looks really un-natural as does the space between her arm and body. Can you post the orig. for comparison?

3. I'd like to see the original too. That armpit is distracting. I'd also spend some time blending that bra into her top... Visible underwear is one of my pet peeves.

4. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    That is because I did not take enough time to blend the wall. I removed the little shadow from the wall. The shadow looks fine I just wanted this nit-picky so that I can improve. I will post the original a little later. It is on my other computer. Besides that area what else?

5. I think this is what we're referring to.

original.gif

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Could I jump in here and just nitpick about her skin tone looks very orange.... It might be a self-tanner but there's a few ways you could decrease that. One way is Hue/Sat and click yellow and decrease the saturation a little bit, and change the hue towards green just a tiny bit too.

7. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Here's a quick edit of your photo, let me know if you want me to take it down. It's just easier to see that way. I also used Color Balance to introduce some blue to the image and then I increased the brightness by dragging the midpoint in a curve, up a little.

[​IMG]

8. I dont know anything about photography based on what I've read on this forum lately so I can just comment that she's a pretty girl and Linda's retouch looks MUCH better from a color perspective.

9. IMO, the skin here has a featureless, plastic look - maybe too much PPing.

10. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    First I want to thank you all for your comments. Yes the skin does look better toned down a little. Her natural look is similar to my original. I like both images but I am more partial to the warmer skin vs less color, granted too much color and you get a little to orange.
    I did not see the armpit problem until you pointed it out (once again I need to look at more detail and not overall image). Thank you for that tip and I will pucker it right out. I do however like the softer complexion I do not apply too much and when you are viewing it on my screen at full res it looks great, not to mention this amount prints amazing too. Thank you all and please feel free to nitpick this apart.

11. I would love to see the original as well, perhaps so I can do a little PP on it to give you a few hints.

I think the area around the arm looks really bad. No offense...it just sorta looks like a rush job, or maybe like your monitor isn't showing you as much detail as we're seeing. Her skin is also pretty bothersome...esp. the color. As Woody said, the top and bra are also distracting.

12. glad you said that
    not sure what he was going for
    but..... this BRONZE SKIN TONE... does very little for me

13. looks more human-like
    nice edit, linda

still.... a very pretty girl

14. if her "natural" look is closer to your original the way i see it on my calibrated monitor...
    then... either:
    1. she has spent much too much time spray tanning herself
    or
    2. she needs to have a work-up for Hemochromatosis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemochromatosis

no kidding... :smile:

15. In defense of the flesh tone in the original image, it probably IS close to her actual color. If you sample the white it's neutral which I've always read as being correct WB and if the WB is correct the other colors will be correct within the limits of the technology. If I had to bet, my money would be on a bottle tan.

Another thing... I assume that dark mottled area below her armpit on the wall is where you tried to lighten a shadow? It looks like you used a Dodge tool. My approach would have been to use the Magnetic Lasso (touch up the selection with the Lasso tool) to select that entire area of wall and clone in the wall from the upper right portion of the image. Rarely do you have such a distinct area to work with and an expanse of good filler to fill with.

As an aside, this is the kind of discussion we've been needing here for a very long time.

16. Well, I couldn't help it. Skin tone aside, I just had to play. Haven't done anything like this in forever... good therapy.
    Changed armpit, wall, bra and cloned out belly button ring, sharpening artifact on the our left side of her face, lines on her neck and a couple tiny blemishes on her face.

original.gif

17. Nice job Woody. I wouldn't have thought of getting rid of the lines of the bra, but it makes a big difference.

18. Back when I was in college, this kind of bra was called a "Rawhide" bra. You know, "round 'em up and push 'em out, old, old Rawhide theme song sung by Frankie Laine