Jennifer

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by TCMony, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Here my latest shot from a model shoot on Saturday. D700 24-70 2.8, and processed in NX2

2750477135_250bb9a103_o.jpg

2. very interesting effect
    i like this image
    nice post-processing

do you have any more to show us?

3. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you for the compliment. I do have some more and I will get them up soon.

4. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Wow, excellent. Any full length shots?

5. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    I have one posted.

6. Another interesting shot from you.

If I may make a general suggestion, always check the Levels. In almost every shot you should have the sliders under the data otherwise your image will look milky or hazy. In the case of this image try this and see what you think.

1. Open Levels and move the left slider to under where the data begins, around 25. This will increase the contrast somewhat. Always remember that a good B&W has two things, texture and contrast.

2. Open Unsharp Mask and try these settings: Amount 150, Radius .3, Threshold 0. Toggle the Preview button a couple times and notice how the image pops. The eyes become sparkly, the jewelry and hair distinct, even the brickwork is sharper.

Crop is a bit odd. Remember that the two most expressive parts of a woman's body are her eyes and hands. Expression leads to reaction and that's what makes a good photograph a great photograph... it's not what you put into it as much as what the viewer puts into it. Engage the viewer... make me WANT to know this person.

You have good instincts, you just need to pay more attention to your heart. Photograph with your heart and process with your brain.

7. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    woody, i love your input. i think you're spot on with this. i take so much away from your photographs and advice.

8. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you for the suggestion but I was looking for the milky look. I originally had the levels set to the correct area but I did not want to do the same adjustments to all of the shots from this shoot, and I wanted to play a little and see how it was received. I really appreciate your comments, you have amazing photography.

9. That's why I said "in almost every shot".

That's the wonderful thing about photography, especially today with digital and the power of processing tools... it belongs to YOU. Back in the film days unless you had your own lab you only controlled a part of the process, today you control everything. You get to decide how you want to express the way you see the world.

You have a good eye, trust yourself - pursue your vision the way you see it and don't let anyone insist you follow the "rules".

10. It's like watching Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I so like this helpful side of Woody more than the one I saw over the weekend. Nice advice and great dialogue. TCMony - I like the images you have posted. Listen to Woody and we will have another Stu-like prodigy on our hands.