Jessi and Schollbus Graveyard

Model at the school Bus Graveyard in Alto Ga. Mixture of natural light and quick pop from the Flashpoint AD 200 mated to a small reflector .

Z7 at iso 100 with the 16-35 f4 @ 35mm F5 and 1/2500. Used high shutter speed to darken Sky and background and then the flash to expose the model in HHS mode. Processed in C1 and PS.

JWZ_0837-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice production. Well balanced natural light and AD200.

I think you meant HSS (high speed sync) vs HHS :cool:
Thanks Walter.. It's fun to add that little bit of pop to natural light shoots. Always happy to see just what a small kiss of artificial light brings to the natural light portrait.

The Ad200 is a great little addition to my lighting kit along with a couple of the Xplor 600 strobes. Very light, powerful, adaptible to number of great modifiers and also very affordable. Have the Elinchrom 1100 W Ranger battery pack and head but finding that I'm using the Xplor 600 much more often. They are just so much lighter and really like the built in receivers and ability to change modes via the transmitter atop the Z7. Mine are the non TTL models and extremely affordable when Adorama has their sales.

Yes HSS high speed sync. I do hate spell check, were never seem to be on the same page.

nice lighting, beautiful model. What’s a school bus graveyard?

Rick..The one in Alto Ga. Started off as a auto junk / salvage yard and instead of a fence to surround the Junk Yard and keep people out, the owner, a former school bus driver used old yellow school buses to construct the fence around the property. He came home one afternoon and someone had painted one of the buses. From there the junkyard grew and every so often artist are invited or allowed to come on the property and Paint the school buses cars and trucks. Lots of interesting old cars, buses and trucks that make wonderful backgrounds. My images posted in portraits "little Rust" , "Lydia and Bel Air", "Girl in a Flat Bed Ford" and "junkyard Repose" were all photographed here. Fun place to shoot and Walter the owner is a wonderful gentleman with some great stories.

Yes I like the lighting too. Is that cousin Jack?
Thank you , why yes that is cousin Jack. We found him under one of the buses and as it was the models favorite cousin, she decided to pose with it.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Lots of atmosphere in this shot, you pulled this one off well.

Very nice. I'm always envious of folks who shoot human subjects. Something I'm not very good at.
Thank You...When I 1st picked up the camera and probably the 1st 15 years I didn't shoot a human subject. Was pretty much an introvert so I just shot landscape. Later was fortunate that I had a co-oworker who was also very interested in photography. His best friend taught Fine Art Figure workshops. Irving convinced me to try one of Michaels figure workshops, I loved them but found myself drawn and photographing the faces of the nude models rather than the figure. Continued to shoot whenever I could. Still pretty much and introvert and don't find it real easy to give instructions and pose the model. Would really like to find a muse, a collaborative relationship where , we could try and test new ideas, just to shoot more often and enhance my craft.

Hey Bill,
I have never heard of Dubois, WY until this evening, so looked it up on a map. It reminds me of that line from Thelma and Louise. When the pursuing sheriff got the girls on the phone "Where you at, the middle of nowhere? To which the character played by Susan Sarandon replied Nope, but I can see it from here".

Good job. I like what you did with the mixed lighting. I have always had it in the back of my mind to try this technique, but it has never happened. Thank you for getting me thinking about it again.

JLH

I always enjoy seeing the work of others. This photo has lots to show...the careful and thoughtful use of light, angle and subject matter really inspires. The bright colors on her dark dress really take advantage of the added light. The pose, the look on her face and that bottle (empty) in her hand are great. There is a story there for sure.
A fine piece of work for sure.

Good job. I like what you did with the mixed lighting. I have always had it in the back of my mind to try this technique, but it has never happened. Thank you for getting me thinking about it again.
Thanks Terri. Have always liked the pop you get using flash outdoors under sunny skies. In the past, before HSS would always need very powerful and expensive strobes to overpower the sun. In fact I have a Elinchrom Ranger 1100 watt Head and Battery pack which does the job but is also so very heavy. Fine for a location where your not going to be constantly moving, but cumbersome if constantly moving about. AD200 is perfect, not much larger than a speed light, but 2-3 times more powerful, HSS and multiple head from a standard speediight type head to bare bulb or a round head.
I always enjoy seeing the work of others. This photo has lots to show...the careful and thoughtful use of light, angle and subject matter really inspires. The bright colors on her dark dress really take advantage of the added light. The pose, the look on her face and that bottle (empty) in her hand are great. There is a story there for sure.
A fine piece of work for sure.
Thanks, Wish I could say and take credit for the master plan...This was the dress she came with to the shoot, We walked around and found this one vantage that had the buses receeding into the background but the bus model right was casting a huge shadow on the model and the foreground. Added the AD200 to light the model.

Last edited:
Nicely done. I find during the day I use the ad600 but at sunrise or sunset the ad200 is the ticket. I have also started to look at continous light now that I am mirrorless. My rotolight Will flash HSS

Nicely done. I find during the day I use the ad600 but at sunrise or sunset the ad200 is the ticket. I have also started to look at continous light now that I am mirrorless. My rotolight Will flash HSS
Thanks John, Also really liking the AD600 as well as the AD200. Find that I'm using them much more often than my Elinchrom 1100w Ranger, Just so much lighter. Have a rotolight Neo I that I use to supplement natural light when indoors. Thought of upgrading to the Neo II with HSS but it just didn't offer that much more power than the Neo I. One of the images using the Neo I to supplemnt the natural light coming into the B&B. Believe I actually had it set to a warmer WB.

JW8_9862-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom