Jet Time...AirVenture EAA (lots pics)

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Commodorefirst, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Guess it is time to post a few jets, unfortunately, no raptor this year for me, left before the good weather day (saturday)

Same rigs as before, D200 or D2xs and 200-400, handheld.

This one suprised us all, came roaring by in the middle of the day without any notice, by the time I picked up the camera to my side and threw it up to my face, it was already in a steep full climb,

[​IMG]

Some Harrier Pics: (like I really need more, :biggrin:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Target Drone F4 came by not part of any show, and did a flyby or two, had some good light to show of the camo colors,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some more F15 pics, from the early am around 9-10 am which means the sun is in my face, but still some decent shots, with unique light angles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some F15 landing pics, the pilots were trying to out do each other and keep the nose up for as long as possbile, they were even jockying the throttle to keep the nose up the entire runway length, One went almost 7000'

first a good light landing shot after the heritage flight:

[​IMG]

and the winner of the keep the nose up forever game they were obviously playing! as they started to sink down even with full elevator you could hear the engines spool up! lol They were working hard for the crowd, and the crews were watching and commenting from the main flightline area and running out to see how far they would go, bet there was a cold beverage on the line.

[​IMG]

2. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Really cool... great series...

3. Wade,

First, great pics as usual.

The F-15 pic right before the landing shots...how in the world did you get "bokeh" out of the contrails? That is very cool.

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes one of my favorites, I just shot it at f4 or f5 and 400mm to get as much shutter speed as possible, (only 1/500 at ISO 100) and focused on the canopy, his turn being right in front of me allowed this cool effect.

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Jeff, Much appreciated.

Wade

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Holy Cow Wade, these are outstanding. The Herrier just off the deck should be printed and on your wall. How I wish that I would have driven up earlier in the week when the weather was good.

7. Thanks, I am trying to study up and always learn a lot from your work. I was hoping to hit the big show in Chicago in a few weeks but time may not allow it. A good airshow is one of the things I would really love to try.

8. Outstanding Wade, what a treat!

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Jeff

Was pretty good on Monday and Tuesday, with Monday being the best,

Cheers, and next year if I go we can try for a meet again, and I haven't fogot about our winter meet in Dubuque.... for different type of aircraft!

Wade

10. Hey Wader, That F4 is not a trarget drone.. It is either the one from Collings Foundation or the one they use for Heritage flights...

Target drone F4 are fixed out here in Mojave, CA and are painted with orange wing tips....

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes they are Drones, They are part of the Target Drone Air Unit, they pull targets and also work as drone control planes/chase planes. But they are considered the variant of Target Drones, not the ones that get shot....yet..... they are however the QF-4 models though.

They are the 82nd aerial target Squadron out of Tyndall AFB, their logo is on the nose and says aerial target squadron.

Collings Bird is here:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/hiresaircaft/high-f4phantom.jpg

12. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Those are just some great shots Wade. I do think that QF-4 is out of Tydnall, makes me miss the days I was stationed there.

13. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks much Todd.

Wade

14. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Frits, always appreciate your words,

15. Woo! So this is what a 200-400 lens will get ya! The Harrier shot is outstanding. I think the heat waves underneath it really gives a sense of the power needed.

16. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Pete, I hate to say it but I think the lens does help with airshows, I shot a 300 f4 three years ago even though I had the 200-400 for about 6 months at that point, but I was afraid of the weight etc. and hiking with it. While the 300 did a great job, the ability to zoom and frame is so important in airshows, and the ability to start at 400mm and then zoom out to 200 as the plane approaches is critical to my methods,

I have some great shots with the fixed 300, but feel much more comfortable with the zoom.

Thanks

Wade

17. great captures Wade!.. no. 1 is my favorite. sharp and the exposure is right on.