JFK Plaza

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ...in Holyoke, MA. Here, the largest Roman Catholic Church in the city which services the large Catholic population, raised money, built, and dedicated a plaza to JFK following his death.

original.jpg

The statue itself is only a (barely) passable likeness, but it serves to emphasize that JFK was only 45 when he died and was elected President when he was younger than Barack Obama.

original.jpg

"Ask Not..." The most famous quotation from perhaps the best-known inauguration speech in the Nation's history.

original.jpg

"Let us begin...." This was the passage in the inaugural speech that led to the later-famous notion of "the first 100 days" of his presidency popularized by Theodore Sorensen, who was chief speechwriter for the inaugural address.

original.jpg

Thought you might enjoy this little photo essay which I just added to the "Monuments and Memorials" blog on my pbase site.

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  2. Thanks, Tim.

Yes, it was not the best time to shoot but I was in the mood....so......

Noting your signature, I can imagine.......

3. Nice photos of a great man. Nice bokeh as well. Thanks for sharing.

4. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Great Job Harry!

5. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I ment to ask, what lens did you shoot these with Harry?

6. I guess I don't understand the inflammatory commentary in your initial post.
    A church built a memorial to the first president that was of that denomination. How is that related to the separation of church and state again? You call it only a '(barely) passable' likeness, yet you made the effort to photograph it, post it, put on your blog? I knew it was JFK, I didn't need the inscription. It looks like JFK to me.
    Why the hate?
    Too bad about the crane. Nice captures in difficult light.

7. Harry, I too wonder why you felt it necessary to put an inflamatory statement in your initial post. The plaza seems to be a great place and one that people in that location can visit. It brings honor to one of our Presidents much like a plaza built to honor George Washington or Abe Lincoln or any of our other presidents. It is a part of history.

I have removed the inflamatory parts of your initial post. By the way I like your photograpy and feel that you have done a nice job of capturing the feel of this plaza. I hope that we can keep religion and politics out of this thread so that I do not have to close it entirely.

8. Thanks, Dez. I appreciate the comment.

Steve, thanks. I've pass the plaza daily and just wanted to capture it.

Tim....it was shot with my 85 f/1.8.

Tim...I guess I gave the wrong impression. I hate neither the man nor the church...in fact, I am a liberal democrat by way of leanings and think the Catholic Church is of great value. But I am a strong civil libertarian in philosopy and do protest the intermingling of church (any) and politics (any). And beautiful and meaningful as the plaza is, to me and to others, I don't think this church should have erected what in any meaningful way is a political monument. Simple as that.

But those monuments were not built by CHURCHES.

Gordon....see my message above. My comment was not intended to be derogatory of either the man or the religiion. (in fact, JFK is a hero of mine)...it was a statement that the plaza violated IMO the separation of church and state.

My comment about "ruling class" I can see might be interpreted as derogatory and could have been excised, but in fact it was intended as explanatory...because in fact the Irish Catholics do dominate the political establishment in Holyoke and have for years and thus the line here does sometimes get blurred.

But obviously this is a private site and you have the right to do what you did. I do hope you will leave these explanatory comments up as well as the thread, and I do thank you for your kind comments about the photography.

I will make no further political, religous, or philosophical commentary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  9. Nice shots of a great monument built at a time when our country had a much different philosophy about public servants. (I guess we don't really call them that anymore)