Job Offer......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Apr 18, 2007.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I was contacted this morning by a motor-sports promoter to be their photographer. They will be operating a Monster Truck ride truck and want to be able to offer riders a souvenir photo in a cardboard frame which they will be selling for $5.00 each. (4x6) They will handle the printing and supply the frames, and prints, all I have to do is take the photos. They will provide lodging for me and my family for (3) days in Virginia Beach and also provide passes for the shows. They are looking at approx 5,000 photos during the three days. I would be "on-duty" from 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM for the three days. They have offered me $1.50 a photo. Does this seem like a fair deal?
    It will be a tremendous amount of work.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Simply stated...put a piece of tape on your right index finger tip and start shooting. Good luck with this venture Dave, it may be long days, but well worth a try.

3. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

7500 for 3 days worth of work, I would go for it. The family gets a free vacation and you get $$$

4. Exactly, thats good money. He wont be switching lenses, adjusting for light and color, its a simple snap shot of the fans. Flip it on auto and start snapping photos.

5. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

From the sounds of it they will be providing everything needed other than you and the camera. My guess since they are offering printing on the spot you will likely be shooting tethered to a laptop or doing alot of card swapping. I've never attempted shooting tethered nor am I familiar with what would be required.

It sounds like it could be lot of fun and also good experience.

Good luck and congratulations. After you are all done, make sure you take your wife out to dinner somewhere nice since even though she will have 3 days at the beach she won't be able to spend any time with you.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the response. They will be providing the laptop and printer, all I have to do is stand there and take the photos. I am planning on using my D2h. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience using the wireless transmitter? It would sure be easier than swapping cards and a lot less wear and tear on the camera. I did a Santa shoot last year for a couple hundred pictures and swapped cards back and forth. That definitly is not the way to do it.
    I haven't told my wife yet. Lets see: "Honey how would you like to spend Mothers Day weekend at a Monster Truck Show?"
    Sounds appealing doesn't it?

7. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

It sounds like a good deal to me , work is work in photography.

8. I've had the WT-3A wireless transmitter (for the D200 only), for about a month. I used it for about 2 days and bought the external antenna WA-E1.

With the external antenna was able to shoot in a theater and move anywhere I wanted and stay connected. I was also able to shoot from across the street with the laptop insdie the house from about 150 ft.

Using Nikon Camera Control Pro, jpeg, fine, large take about 7 seconds to transfer to a Mac Book Pro using an adhoc setup.

For this first job, why not try a long USB cable connected to a laptop?

9. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Greg,
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried shooting tethered to a laptop. What software would be needed? How would this work? Please excuse my ignorance. :redface:

10. Dave,

Your D2h should have came with a USB cable.
    Do you have Nikon Capture 4.4 ?
    Windows or Mac?

11. Nikon Capture 4.4 comes with Nikon Capture Camera Control.

In your camera menu set USB to PTP.

Connect the camera to the computer and turn on the D2h

Open Nikon Capture 4.4

On the menu bar: Tools>Show nikon Capture Camera Control

Camera Control opens.

Select Download options

Select a folder to download to

Select image naming

When a new image is received from the camera>Show it with multi image window.

Click Show Camera Controls

Take a photo by releasing the shutter, it should come up on the screen.

Try using the Camera Controls on the laptop=fun stuff.

Tools>Show Nikon Capture Editor

Edit and Print.

12. Unfortunately Capture NX does not have Camera Control

Intel Macs can not use Capture 4.4
    That means using Nikon Camera Control Pro.

Both Nikon Camera Control Pro and Capture Camera Control will work with the wireless transmitters or USB.

13. Try it more like this:

Honey how would you like to get away for a few days.... Oh yeah and someone is going to give us 7 grand to do it.

14. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    WOW!

5000 photos in 33 hours comes out to 150 per hour. :eek: :eek:

you will be busy!!

:biggrin:

15. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dave-

are they providing lighting, or do you have to bring your own? you've got one SB-600, i would recommend a second flash as backup (and a bunch of batteries). bring both bodies, and a couple of lenses (again, backup). test everything before you go to make sure it all works. it'll be a lot of work, but it's also a great experience, and a way to make extra money.

ricky

16. Dave,

You might not be able to look at a monster truck or a camera for a while after this gig, but the deal sounds great. I'm sure you've satisfied yourself the promoter is on the up-and-up and can count accurately. Good luck and have fun.

17. Sounds like a great gig, good luck and have fun.

18. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Sounds like a "No Brainer" to me, Go For It! Thats good money for three long days of work, you might have to promise the wife it won't all get spent on lenses.:biggrin: - Jeff

19. I just moved to Richmond from Va Beach so I know the area well.. let me know if you want some suggestions on hotels and great food. Good luck.

20. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Greg,
    Thanks for all the help. I will give it a try and see how it works.