Job Offer......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WOW!

5000 photos in 33 hours comes out to 150 per hour. :eek: :eek:

you will be busy!!

:biggrin:
I think they might be a little high. The truck will hold eight riders for each ride. (Approx 4-5 minutes each ride.) Figure conservatively 1-2 people from each ride might want a photo. There will be two trucks running at a time so maybe 50 people each hour. This is still a lot of work.

hi dave-

are they providing lighting, or do you have to bring your own? you've got one SB-600, i would recommend a second flash as backup (and a bunch of batteries). bring both bodies, and a couple of lenses (again, backup). test everything before you go to make sure it all works. it'll be a lot of work, but it's also a great experience, and a way to make extra money.

ricky
I will have to supply some lighting. They will have portable floods on the beach. I will have another SB-600 with me. I always bring at least 2 bodies with me and extra batteries. Maybe after this I can work at Disney as a photographer.:tongue:

Dave,

You might not be able to look at a monster truck or a camera for a while after this gig, but the deal sounds great. I'm sure you've satisfied yourself the promoter is on the up-and-up and can count accurately. Good luck and have fun.
Dave,
I will get a contract written up before I even go. I know the promoter, but I have been burnt before. Thanks for the reply.

I just moved to Richmond from Va Beach so I know the area well.. let me know if you want some suggestions on hotels and great food. Good luck.
They mentioned the Schooner Hotel. I checked their website and it doesn't look to bad for a weekend. Any input would be appreciated.

They mentioned the Schooner Hotel. I checked their website and it doesn't look to bad for a weekend. Any input would be appreciated.
If you can, stay away from the non-chain hotels....there is a ramada on 6th street (http://www.virginiabeachramada.com/) that is right in the heart of the action and sits on top of one of the best restaurants in va beach (Mahi Mah's).

Another one would be the courtyard marriott (http://www.courtyardoceanfrontnorth.com/) which is removed from the strip (i.e. quiet) yet still convenient. If you only get to eat at one restaurant while you are there, please go to Chick's Oyster Bar. Local's favorite and food that is out of this world. (2143 Vista Cir
Virginia Beach, VA 23451 - (757) 481-5757 )

French Bay, on the shores of the Mighty Manukau Ha
Sorry for the late reply but Ive been away from my computer for a week.
Have terms and conditions stating the usage granted with all other rights reserved. If you do incredible shots they will want and expect to use them for every and anything unless you put it in writing that they are your property. Posters, track adverts, adverts for supliers all be possible. If they are still using your shots 10 years down the track and are rollin` in the moola then your beat.
You dont have to be greedy, just whats fair is fair......:wink:
Spend $250 on a lawyer to draft up a contract if your not capable of doing it yourself. It should pay off 10 fold if you shoot great images.:Smart: :

Devil's advocate: Things are not always as good as they may seem on the surface. For example, adding 7500 shots to your click meter on the camera. Wear on any other equipment used in a production setting. Taxes. fuel, 2.70-3.00 a gallon, auto use.

Myself, none of my bodies have 7500 clicks, so I'd approach this with caution due to lapping my click count in a weekend. But I don't see myself about production either, perhaps you do.

they are getting over 2 times as much as you, and your doing all the work. I'd be more interested as a 50/50 arrangement, and my time = their supplies in short.

Lastly, while your family may get a vacation out of this, you, won't be able to enjoy it with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bob swanson

Just like Yahtzee I can recommend some places. I sure you don't know but I wonder why they didn't inquire with some local photographers? You might notice that I'm one.
As was mentioned you might get clarification on exactly what you would be getting paid for. Each picture taken or each picture sold. Each picture sold would more than likely cut down on you income. I know this looks like a "pie in the sky" but being cautious, particularly with promoters is a good thing. If I were shooting it I would probably have a flash on a bracket for every shot. I would not only have back-ups, but double back-ups. Flash, camera, lenses. My Al jacobson batteries can produce at least 1000 flashes per charge. PM me or email [email protected] if I can be of any assistance as I live near the oceanfront in Virginia Beach.
bsvirginian

R

Rick Waldroup

Dave, I do quite a bit of event photography and what you are describing is a good deal. In most cases, I also supply the prints on-site as well using a combination of Epson printers. Unless I really have to, I do not like to shoot tethered to a laptop. I don't like having anything tying me and the camera down with cables. I also use Pocket Wizards as well for my Novatron strobes. I know this sounds weird, but I had rather switch out cards. Now I also bring along over 2 dozen CF cards as well. My printers have preview screens on them and very basic editing tools built-in. Once I get the parameters set up in the printers, it is just a matter of having the assistant pop the cards in the printers and push a couple of buttons and everything is on it's way. That is why if all you have to worry about is straight shooting- it sounds like a plum job to me.

I too shoot a D2H or a D1x-usually the D2H. If all you basically have to worry about is the shooting- that is gravy. Plus they will pick up your expenses. As others on here have noted, make sure you bring plenty of backups for everything and lots and lots of batteries. This is definately a win-win situation for you. Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dave, glad to see Ron found someone. I would've done it but I'm going to be at all 5 of the shows taking photos but I'll be sure to stop by and introduce myself. I'll be staying at the Best Western and will be roaming the board walk and the pits the whole weekend.

Dude, if you have time, go out and pick up a D1H or D70 to keep the clicks AND dust off the D2H. When you are done with the venture, sell it all back on ebay for what you bought it for. Take plastic wrap with you and wrap it around your flash body to keep dirt out out.

Looks like good money for long days...of course I make this much money in about 4 -5 months.... hahaha

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom