Jobs ill? :(

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by threecats, Jul 23, 2008.

1. This may not be news to some but I just heard it yesterday. Seems he's losing weight and when Apple was questioned they said it's a personal matter. Shareholders would argue otherwise but that's not my point. I guess he had pancreatic cancer and the long term of that bout is never good.

I don't know if I qualify as a "Fan Boy" but still have a working IIc and tractor drive printer and every time I see the Apple logo I suppress a smug little smile that comes from being a member of the 'one of the knowing the true way club'. To be one of the original 64 kb prodos/basic boys just adds to it. Sure this aluminum imac still suffers from the 'random plug yanked from wall shutdown syndrome' but even after working on a PSE image for 1/2 hour and losing it a simple restart gets me going, I see that Apple logo, and I smile and all is forgiven. Like having kids, or 'grown up' kids all over again.

Given the myriad of gifts Apple has brought to the world that even PC users now take for granted I am wondering Cafe thoughts. Consider that just the ipod has generated hundreds of third party accessories and thousands of jobs not to mention the complete revolution in the way music is played. Take away the superior functionality of the products and the always leading edge UI and just consider the sheer elegance of Apple design!

No matter his personality Steve Jobs is Apple and I can not think of one person in this generation that has brought so much innovation, broke more unchartered ground and raised the bar in as many applications as him.

Truly he deserves the Nobel now or later IMHO.

Glenn

ps, please, please if you have negative thoughts about him or Apple I think most would agree that this post is not the place to vent.

2694896595_735a558f8f_o.

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Glenn, your tribute is heartwarming. While I've not had a lot of Apple products myself, I have purchsed 2 for my daughter. But you know, the mistique is always there for their introductions, as something of a second coming, but usually it is a first, and always original. He's got more creativity than a dozen b Gates. As much as B has done himself for advancement, in the end, most of the truly creative stuff has originated with Jobs.

When Jobs left Apple and started Pixar, Apple just about rotted. He's the heart, soul, lifeblood of Apple, or has been to date. I wish the best for him, recovery, though I know that's got to be one difficult battle. I'll leave with the words of Lance Armstrong. Live Strong.

3. What I came across

Looks like there may be hope.

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    That truly sounds optimistic Rich. I am surprised to hear no followup treatment. But I am sure he has the best Doctors money can buy. I am also sure they will watch him closely.

5. This is old news. It's either somewhat coincidental or suspicious that a rehash of Job's possible health deterioration appeared the day before Apple was to issue their quarterly earnings. Here is a CNBC article concerning this non issue:http://www.cnbc.com/id/25798954/site/14081545

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Interesting thoughts Ray. Special interest groups, could certainly play this scenerio out. I wasn't aware of it, so while it may be old news, it was still news to me. Since I don't own stock, I guess, I'm not a risk for canibalizing their stock value.

7. hmmmm
    i was unaware of this recent health issue
    he has certainly overseen one of this world's greatest companies, since its inception.

i hope that there is some improvement in his health soon
    i'm sure that "REST" is something he has seen little to none of in recent months

thanks for this thread

8. The pancreatic cancer episode is indeed "old news." It really didn't become public until after he'd had the surgery and was back at work. However, over the past year or so, Steve Jobs has looked thinner and thinner, especially at the recent WWDC keynote presentation in June. Apple rumor sites have discussed it, the press has discussed it, and I am sure that there is much concern among his colleagues, not to mention stockholders.

Definitely the day Steve Jobs steps down from Apple due to ill health or to simple retirement, the company will never be the same.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.