Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom

I've got one. I would've never bothered buying one, but a seller on Nikonians threw it in for $20 when I bought another item. I've only tested it around the house, but it'll work fine for tabletop and other work with my fun kit - and it'll fit nicely in a small bag or backpack.

I have a Gorillapod SLR Zoom. I used to have a decently heavy manfrotto 486 head on it, but got rid of that and swapped on the new $20 Giottos 1303 mini ballhead. MUCH LIGHTER! I rarely have it in my bag though because I don't need it during the day and whenever I need to shoot at night, I usually drive and bring a larger tripod. You'll get really quick at setting it up. Even bracing it against a wall or table helped me stabilize a lot of shots.

It's a great travel tripod solution, but I've been using it more to hold my speedlight. Works great!

P.S. I was reading PCPhoto or pop-photo.. one of them... anyways, they mentioned a new SLR Zoom coming out so keep yours eyes open if you're interested.

-jeff

I have the Focus because I need support for a D700, 70-200VR and ball head. The smaller versions received good reviews. It is an excellent and versatile travel tripod!

I have the Focus because I need support for a D700, 70-200VR and ball head. The smaller versions received good reviews. It is an excellent and versatile travel tripod!

right.. the Focus. That's what I was talking about.
Pretty expensive for what looks like a toy out of the Discovery store. Nice.

-jeff

Thanks for all the replies.

The "SLR Zoom" is the one I had in mind and linked to in my first post. It supports six pounds, so I think it will be plenty strong enough for my purposes. As I may want to carry it along on hikes, I like the light weight of this model (8.5 oz). The "Focus" model is not too bad at 1.1 lbs, but it costs more than twice as much.

I'll report my experience after I've tried it, but it may be awhile.

Does the Focus really hold the weight, or just help stabilize it? I have the Zoom, too, and it's great for my SB800, but won't hold my D700 with just a 50/1.4ais. I have used it in flattened out configurations to help stabilize the camera a few times, but it's inadequate for real support. Again, though, it's indespensible for a Speedlite...

I like the idea of the Focus IF it's really capable...

Jim, I think you'll find the Zoom is not able to hold 6lbs. Mine will flop over if I use a LightSphere on my SB800. That's nowhere near 6lbs! In fact, when it's being used on a flat surface, I have to position my Speedlite vertically or the weight causes it to flop. I usually hang it off something upside down, though, which makes it less position sensitive.

Does the Focus really hold the weight, or just help stabilize it? I have the Zoom, too, and it's great for my SB800, but won't hold my D700 with just a 50/1.4ais. I have used it in flattened out configurations to help stabilize the camera a few times, but it's inadequate for real support. Again, though, it's indespensible for a Speedlite...

I like the idea of the Focus IF it's really capable...

All I want to support is a D60 with a relatively light lens, such as the 18-105VR. Do you think the "Zoom" would be adequate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

It'll hold that setup just fine. The only issue will be balance. If your camera and lens are centered correctly, the Gorillapod can hold some serious weight. Here's an example:

DSC_5013.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's my D700 and 70-200. However, I can't attach the 'pod to the camera, as the setup will be too heavy up front. With the lightweight setup you mentioned, I doubt this will be an issue.

Jim,

It'll hold that setup just fine. The only issue will be balance. If your camera and lens are centered correctly, the Gorillapod can hold some serious weight. Here's an example:

DSC_5013.jpg

That's my D700 and 70-200. However, I can't attach the 'pod to the camera, as the setup will be too heavy up front. With the lightweight setup you mentioned, I doubt this will be an issue.
bourbon,

this is just the pic ive been looking for since considering this 'pod as a travel item to playa del carmen in mexico. although, i think i will keep my 70-200 at home. i might even include a small ballhead for this pod as well.

I was disappointed with Joby point & shoot version as it tended to droop if anything was off-center.

Very happy with the Manfrotto tabletop though; $35 and will hold my D90 with 70-300VR and SB600. 4.5lb capacity and folds to nothing.

2912278430_fd8e760e4c.png

View attachment 304924

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ng_709B_709_Tabletop_Tripod_with.html#reviews

Jim,

DSC_5013.jpg

Good Lord, man!!
My Zoom must be defective! Like I said, it won't hold my D700 with a 50/1.4 :-/

How do you like that Kata strap?

Good Lord, man!!
My Zoom must be defective! Like I said, it won't hold my D700 with a 50/1.4 :-/

How do you like that Kata strap?

I'm not sure which model Gorillapod you're using, but I'm using the big one. It's pretty sturdy.

As for the Kata strap... Every new (or used) camera I buy gets two things installed immediately: 1) a daProtector on the rear LCD, and 2) a Kata Reflex-E strap. It's good enough that I gave away my OpTech and similar Tamrac straps.

Non-Zoom Gorillapod

Anyone using the non-zoom Gorillapod SLR?

I'm not sure what weight it will hold but I suspect that it would be no good for me my kit is a D200 with 18-135, 50/1.4 or Sigma 70-300.

Anyone using one with similar kit?

Andy

Latest threads

Top Bottom