Jockey's Ridge at the OBX

Interesting dresses, but the houses and the powerlines really detract for me. Was there any way to shoot in the other direction with the water as your background?

#4 is the best of this bunch for me. The lighting gave the model a bit of pop and separation.

Real Name
Andrew
Interesting dresses, but the houses and the powerlines really detract for me. Was there any way to shoot in the other direction with the water as your background?

#4 is the best of this bunch for me. The lighting gave the model a bit of pop and separation.
My guess is that the wind was coming from the ocean, so that would have blown the long dresses back into the models. In that case, I would have tried to shoot down more, but sometimes the weather in OBX can be very tricky. One minute, it is beautiful sun, the next, rain and swirling winds.

I don't disagree that the backgrounds detract, but sometimes you gotta work with what mother nature gives you. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is in the middle of the island and the wind was blowing the wrong way

#2 is the best IMHO. Nice balance. I don't see EXIF data, but opening up the aperture could blur the backgrounds a lot. The busy backgrounds are a major distraction. Maybe shoot at sunrise to get a warmer light.

Real Name
Andrew
#2 is the best IMHO. Nice balance. I don't see EXIF data, but opening up the aperture could blur the backgrounds a lot. The busy backgrounds are a major distraction. Maybe shoot at sunrise to get a warmer light.
#2 was shot on the 24-70/2.8 @ 51mm, f/4.5

he probably could have shot at f/2.8, but given the distance, I’m not sure the aperture would have made that huge a difference.

the images are exposed well, the models did an excellent job. I love the lighting. Sometimes backgrounds just aren’t what we hoped for.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom