1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Joe McNally reviews the SB900 Flash

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by SMH77, Jul 1, 2008.

1. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
  2. thanks for the link!

3. The remote/master switch is a BIG PLUS!

4. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Nice. Thank you.

5. Joe's a Nikon lobbyist. He's a good pitchman, but he didn't come up with anything that would get me to part with $500 for an sb900. His daughter sure is cute ;-).

6. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the link, Nikon did finally address those clumsy features of SB800 with a wheel, buttons and a switch. I am also impressed with SB900's ability to zoom 18-200mm and auto white balance with gel, good job Nikon.

7. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Since my son and I already own a couple of SB800 Speedlights and currently only have one SB600, I would definitely buy two more SB600 Speedlights and some more batteries with that $500.

8. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

$500?? Is that what the retail is going to be, or was that MSRP?

9. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    Looks so much easier to use than SB800

10. Tony, if you buy them used, you could get 3 sb600s for $500... and have enough money left over for a box of 20 NiMH batteries and a charger....

or 2 sb600s, a box of batteries, and an su-800.

11. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

The menu needed to change from one usage to another (Master, Commander) is one reason to retire my fleet of SB-800's. What a nuisance!

Here I come SB-900!

12. Yeah, that menu change thing makes it worth it for me. Nothing worse than having a nervous bride sweating makeup while you are tyring to navigate the master/remote icons. The nice thing is just one 900 will make all the difference; I can keep the 800s and leave them set up as remote; no advantage to replacing them since they are always in that mode.

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    No one's twisting your arm :wink:

14. For sure. Hey, let me know if you decide to sell one of your obselete flashes to make room in your bag for an sb900 :cool: .

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    :tongue:
    LOL! Now, I never said I was jumping on the gotta-have-the-latest-and-greatest bandwagon. I am pretty happy with the obsolescence I currently have. I even had to superglue the rubber button cover on my SB-600 :eek: 

16. The link is worth clicking for the pictures. :wink:

17. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I was just getting ready to ask you the same thing; why not swap your SB-800s for some SB-600s?:wink:

18. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Simple solution for me, just keep the SB800 in Commander mode and the SB600's (or other SB800's) in Slave mode. If I don't want to use slaves, I don't have to and it makes no difference that I'm aware of to the SB800 if there are slaves involved or not.

It's not that the SB900 doesn't have some appeal to me, but I still think the first Speedlight anyone buys should be an SB600; I will not be using my SB800's as slaves; but if I were buying new or had to replace an SB800, then I would consider an SB900 -- for me the jury is still out on that.

19. If I was starting from scratch, I'd buy an su800 and a bunch of sb600s. But I've already got one strobe for each lightstand, so why shuffle the deck now?

20. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Yup I also am in line....er, not for the SB900....hoping for a HUGE flurry of activity on the new gun to drive new and secondhand prices down on SB800's.

My strobes stay on remote so no issue with the command button.

I can appreciate what a hassle it must be for those that switch around though, so do please upgrade!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.