Jogging polar bear cub and more from the Toledo Zoo

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by sommer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. It took a couple of months, but we finally made it to the Toledo Zoo to see the new polar bear cubs! There are two cubs born to different moms, and they have to be separated into family units, so only one is on display at a time. This little one was ADORABLE!! You forget how dangerous polar bears can be when you see a little one like this romping and playing. I was shooting through black netting and trying to focus manually which (a) I've never done before, and (b) was a real challenge given how active this little bear was!

[​IMG]

I fell in love with this little orang. Dirty glass (very dirty glass) and severe glare notwithstanding, his eyes aren't sharp like I'd like them to be, and I'm beyond frustrated. He's such a cutie though that I couldn't resist posting.

[​IMG]

Baby Louie and his mom (or aunt?...I can't recall the exact history, but I think his mom wasn't taking care of him properly, so he bonded with one of the other females in the herd.) Louie is about 4-5 years old now, IIRC, and he's so much fun to watch. It's neat to see such a huge creature playing and having fun.

[​IMG]

And one more...my daughter's favorite animal. This one posed so nicely, except for the fact that he's sticking out his tongue at me, lol!

[​IMG]

2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great shots! I still love going to the zoo to shoot. Every day presents different opportunities than the last. BTW, I think the Orang looks great.

3. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Sommer: Fun shots. I can only imagine the difficultly shooting thru the black screen that you spoke of. Nonetheless, it looks like you and yours had a great time. I think that is all that counts.

RWH

4. Thanks, haze and Randy. The shooting was challenging, but that was the best time I think I've ever had at the zoo...it was sunny but cool enough that a lot of the animals were active.

5. Very nice series of shots Sommer. I really like the monkey.

6. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Nice shots, Summer. I think the orangutan is cute, looks good to me. I love the polar bears, have a tough time leaving there, especially if there an 'entertainer' :)

7. Nice shots! And what a coincidence! I was also in the zoo yesterday and guess what were my favorite subjects??

Our little polar bear Knut (no surprise, I guess), and the little orang utan we have. I find them both very adorable so I can relate to the joy you must have had.

I'll post some of the pics when I finished processing them.

8. Thanks, Gordon, Stephanie and Daniel. I look forward to seeing your shots too, Daniel. It's a special time at the zoo when there are so many babies...I got very lucky that I went when I did.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sommer
    You did a fantastic job.
    Good work

Zoos can be the toughest place to shoot

Cute alert also

10. Thanks so much, Gale. I really liked these photos when I posted them, but then I look at the other work here and feel rather idiotic for putting mine out there for all to see :redface:. As you mentioned though, zoo conditions are really challenging, trying to shoot through a lot of glass and mesh barriers.

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    nice pics Sommer. #2 is fav. Actually, I like the first 3 really well, nice color, dead on focus, good subjects, I'd say great zoo images!

Danial, I read about Knut on CNN, and his trainer Sounds like the trainer about had enough playing with him, as the bear continues to grow and grow and grow, begins to get a little dangerous...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  12. No Sommer, there's no reason to think your photos wouldn't be worth sharing. You shot some very cute animals and even mastered manual focussing. I don't think mine would come out any better.

Well, Knut and his trainer have a very strong relationship. At last, he is his "dad" - or "mom", whichever you like. It's not that he doesn't have enough of him. Knut has grown quite fast the last months so that the keepers regularly get some blemishes when they played with Knut.

As the zoo wants Knut to become independent of his keeper some day they decided to start to wean him from his keeper. As a result there are no daily Knut shows anymore, Knut got his own enclosure, which on the other hand has the advantage that one can visit him the whole day :smile:.

Nevertheless Knut still cuddles with his keeper now and then, so no reason to worry :wink:

Btw. Did you know how a purring polar bear sounds (while sucking on his keepers hand)? (Knut loves to do that)
    http://download.rbb-online.de/knut/20070702_sauggeraeusch_20sek.mp3

Btw. Knut has a blog. for those who are interesed.

Here you can see him visit his "dad" behind the scenes to cuddle with him.

And be warned. Extreme cuteness altert! :smile::smile::smile:

13. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Very entertaining Daniel. Quite a polar bear cubby!

14. That is the room where Knut had his sleeping box the first months with his "dad" sleeping on the couch next to it, getting up every few hours to feed him.
    I believe in fact it is the garage of the bear enclosures :smile:.

15. dt6366

dt6366

Dec 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I showed the kids your shots and they loved them. My youngest loves giraffes also and when I asked her if she liked it she said “Its sticking its tongue out" I asked if that was bad and she said "No that’s why I like it." :smile:

16. Really great stuff Sommer

17. Thanks, Doug, Dan and Dave. Dan, I'm glad your daughter enjoyed the giraffe...I often have my daughter sit with me while I'm looking at the animal photos here.

And now I remember reading about Knut and his trainer. I'll have to take a look at the links you provided, Daniel.

I appreciate all the kind comments on my photos. I have a terrible perfectionist streak that starts to rear its ugly head the longer I have a photo out there for people to see.