Joined the "Beast" club today

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sbuttrick, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Hi Folks,

I picked up my 28-70 today and it truely is a "Beast". I would like to say that my lens collection is now complete, but I know that LLD will strike again when I least expect it.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I hope to join the beast club one day. Or the 17-55 mini me club. Congrats on your latest glass.

Cheers,

3. Thanks Patrick, I can't wait to get out tomorrow and put it to work.

4. Scott - Interesting we are almost on the same track as far as lenses/equipment goes.

I have a 12-24/4, 28-70/2.8, 105 Micro, 24-120VR, SB800 and on my wish list a 70-200VR, 300/4 and a 500d and perhaps a 1.4 TC and I feel my lenses will for the most part be complete. There are a few primes I would like to get but, for the most part I will be content after I get the 70-200VR and 300/4. Congrats on your new lens. It is a big lens and it stays on my D70s most of the time now as main lens.

Oh yeah - ONE BIG difference. Is you have a D2X! I do want one of these or perhaps a D200 down the road.

Go out and have fun tomorrow.

Mark.

5. Hi Mark,

Great minds think alike. My lens selection is now complete until the next lens. At this point there isn't really anything else that I need or want, but I'm sure that will change. You will really like the 70-200VR and the 300 f4. They are both incredibly sharp lenses. The D2X does make a very good counter weight to the long lenses. If you get the 70-200 you will need to get a D2X just to balance things out.

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    You know, Scott...

I think you guys should formalize the club. You can call it:

"The Royal and Ancient Order of The Beast"

or some such thing. I can envison T-shirts, jackets, cocktail napkins, a secret handshake. Uncle Frank could be the Grand Poobah Beast (since it was his moniker which started it all).

By the way, congrats on the new glass!

7. I see my plan coming together. I buy the 70-200VR and tell my wife - Now I need the D2X to balance it out! What could go wrong here? :)

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    There is always something! Been there, done that, and have the credit card bill to prove it.:wink:

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congrats Scott. I shot very briefly with Birger's Beast and was highly impressed. I can see why folks dote on this lens. :rolleyes:

10. a. Your lens kit now gives you very good coverage, agreed.

b. LLD is insidious and tenacious. I'm diseased and I'd feel better if everyone is diseased.

c. Low light. You need some 1.4's......28,50,85.....don't you hear them calling.

d. Ultra-wide...a 10.5 is sooooo much fun.

e. Prime MF lenses are a disease unto themselves. Start lurking at the used lens counters.

f. a 17-55. Cummon man....the 12-24 AND the 28-70 are too heavy. The 17-55 is so necessary.

g. the magnificent 17-35! You don't need it , but what's the harm in wanting it.

h. Go birding so you can totally loose all common sense and lust for a multi-thousand$$$ super-tele. What's the harm in that.

Actually....congratson your purchase. It is an amazing, heavy and expensive, piece of optical technology worth every penny.

Enjoy.

Vernon

11. Please post picture

Would someone please post a picture of "The Beast" mounted on a D70? I've read so much from you folks about this lens that I'd like to just see, for once, why it gets this moniker.

We have no significant camera shops within 200 miles, so my lusting has to be done via the internet.

12. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Congrats. This is a superb lens :smile:

13. Just a quickie, but here it is.

[​IMG]

14. Thanks much. That is impressive, but the perspective is a bit off. Could someone post a top view please?

15. Fortunately, I am kind of bored this morning. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Hi Scott,

Welcome to the club! I haven't been able to shoot for a few weeks, but I am back in action now. The Beast stays on my D2H most of the time. I am working on last weekend's adventures at the Horseshoe Curve with the Beast, 12-24, and 10.5. I should be ready to post soon....still rebuilding my laptop. What a pain!!! Anyway, I am still after the 200mm micro, but I can wait...LLD has been in remission for over 2 months! I am so proud!

17. Here is Uncle Frank himself with his beloved Beast, who started this whole addiction to the monster! :smile:

[​IMG]

18. Thanks, all, for the pictures. Now I understand.:biggrin:

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

20. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Scott,

Congratulations on the new member of the family. I have the beast too and it is my primary lens for my D2x. When I went to Europe this summer I seldom took it off.

You will love it!