Joining NPS

After reading a recent thread on Nikon service, I’m a little concerned over the time it seems to be taking Nikon Service to get repairs in their system, repaired, and returned. I can’t say this has been an issue for me in the past, as it hasn’t, but I wonder if the rash of new dSLR bodies and new photographers out there has caused Nikon to fall behind on servicing. It’s been since October 2006 since I sent my 300 f/2.8 in for servicing, and the time it took was less than two weeks, including shipping both directions.

I read the requirements to join NPS 3 or 4 years ago, and started a letter, but never finished it, or sent it in. There seems to be a requirement that I don’t remember being there before, but maybe I just forgot. You need an existing member to verify that you are a full-time photographer.

I don’t know what tear sheets are, but I can certainly provide newspaper clippings. Is that what they are looking for?

I certainly qualify on the pro bodies and lens requirement.

Background on what I’m doing now. Newspaper sold, and new owner too cheep to keep me on. Wants free photos from parents, so I no longer work there. (I’m a sports shooter). I have had media passes for major collegiate football games. Currently, covering high school sports, and Youth Soccer, for which I am sponsoring a team, and selling photos to parents. I’m retired, and that’s the only income I have besides my annuity. Could this qualify as being a full time photographer?

Here are the requirements from the Nikon USA Site.

Nikon Professional Services is available only to bona-fide, FULL-TIME professional photographers. There are absolutely no costs involved in joining NPS, only important benefits designed to help you.

To become a member:

* Write a letter of introduction to Nikon Professional Services (see address below) on your letterhead (or your company's stationery).
* Tell us about your photography and request an invitation to join.
* You will need to meet the qualifying requirements below after you receive your application.

To qualify:

* NPS Sponsor (existing member to verify that you are a full-time photographer)
* Current Tear Sheets (published within the last 12 months)
* Ownership of a minimum of 2 Nikon Professional Bodies and 3 Nikkor or DX Nikkor lenses

AFS

I've definitely noticed a speed up in repair turnaround with NPS...they really bend over backwards for you.

By tear sheets they do mean, in your case, recent newspaper pages with your photo credit. I made sure all of mine included the full page, including the header with the paper's name, date, and so on.

You do typically need a sponsor, mine was a photographer who knows me well. Just a little networking effort can help you here nicely.

As far as qualifying, I'll put it this way. I gave full disclosure: I'm a student, but my sole employment is as a staff photographer for the independent student newspaper. Photography therefore accounts for 100% of my income and actually takes up the majority of my time. It took a while to come through, but I was granted membership.

My local Nikon Service Center seem to base the time for repair based upon the type of equipment taken in - if I go in there with a 'less pro' (read=less expensive) piece of equipment, such as a D70 or a 17-35mm, it might take them a week or two to fix, but if I take my 200-400 or 200 f/2 I seem to get turn around in a couple of days.....

Sounds like I would probably qualify. I might just do it just in case anything happens to my equipment in the next few months of shooting sports.

Anyone else an NPS member that may have my current qualifications for joining NPS?

Thank you for your input. I do have a retirement annuity for income, but I’m no longer working for that money. :biggrin:

I wonder how one goes about finding an NPS Sponsor (existing member to verify that you are a full-time photographer)? I don’t remember that requirement last time I looked at this, which was in August 2005 according to the letter I started. I’m in a small town in what most would consider a remote area, tho I don’t, and I doubt there are any NPS members locally.

I'm curious about this also, as I qualify for NPS UK, however it says that they will contact you when you register a pro body and a pro lens. Though having done this, they've still not contacted me

Anymore input anyone has would be appreciated.

Last I read it was the D200,D300,D700,D3,D3X

and pro lense were the 2.8 zooms, and a lot of primes. the 50mm 1.8 is actually on that list to..

THANX

Where is this LIST?? I looked all thru the "faqs" at Nikon USA to no avail??

Did see that lens requirements atthe NPS page said 3 lenses and included DX lenses, but that seems to be a good thing for those with a D200 or 300....but also read over at photo.net that the D200 wasn't considered pro by Nikon USA but it is considered pro in Europe?????

Is this just another sign of american arrogance???

Here's what NPS France considers pro gear :

Cameras :
F5, F6, D2X, D2Xs, D2H, D2Hs, D3, D3X, D200, D300, D700.

Lenses :
AF-DX 10.5MM F/2.8G,
AF 16 F/2.8D,
AF 18 F/2.8,
AF 28 F/1.4D,
AF 14 F/2.8,
AF 24 F/2.8D,
AF 20 F/2.8,
AF 28 F/2.8D,
AF 35 F/2D,
AF 85 F/1.4,
AF 85 F/1.8,
AF DC 105 F/2,
AF DC 135 F/2,
AF 180 F/2.8,
AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED,
AF-S 14 - 24mm f/2.8G,
AF-S VR 200-400 F/4G,
AF-S VR 70-200 F/2.8G IF-E,
AF 35-70 F/2.8,
AF-S DX 17-55MM F/2.8G,
AF-S 50mm f/1.4,
AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8,
AFS 80-200 F/2.8, AF 24-85 F/2.8-4,
AFS 28-70 F/2.8,
AFS 17-35 F/2.8,
AFS DX 12-24 F/4G,
AF-S 600 F/4,
AF-S 400 F/2.8,
AFS 300 F/2.8,
AF-S VR 200 F/2,
AF-S 500 F/4,
AF-S 300 F/4,
AF-S VR 300 F/2.8,
AF-S 400mm VR f/2.8G ED,
AF-S 500mm VR f/4G ED,
AF-S 600mm VR f/4G ED,
AF 60 F/2.8D,
AF 105 F/2.8,
AF-S 105 F/2.8 VR,
AF-S 60 F2.8,
AF 200 F/4,
PC 85 F/2.8,
PC-E 24 F/3.5,
PC-E 45 F/2.8,
PC-E 85 F/2.8.

I remember that when I got accepted my 80-200 and D50 worked as well :biggrin:

Thanx Julien.......I was hoping for a link to the US Nikon list......as I stated above on different forums they stated the US and European list is different ..... seems the European Nikon is a little more strict, as shown by your ability to get accepted with a D50.....

Thanx again....GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If Nikon would get their service department running efficiently the "NPS Advantage" wouldn't be there, less non-pro's would feel inclined to join and they wouldn't have to vet so strictly.

Thanx Julien.......I was hoping for a link to the US Nikon list......as I stated above on different forums they stated the US and European list is different ..... seems the European Nikon is a little more strict, as shown by your ability to get accepted with a D50.....

Thanx again....GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Yeah I know things are a bit different here (for example we don't need to have a NPS member to vouch for us when we apply) but this gives you a general idea. I did get accepted with my gear, and I had more than a D50 of course, but things have changed in the past years (around the time when the D3 popped up and lots of people were jumping ships from Canon) and things are a bit stricter. You most certainly wouldn't be accepted with a D50 nowadays and you need to show more proof of your pro status, something I didn't need to prove at the time.

It's weird though that Nikon doesn't unify its NPS status worldwide …

It's weird though that Nikon doesn't unify its NPS status worldwide …

Well, I can imagine that the "gear list" for a low-income country like Cuba or Haiti would be different than for high-income countries like Canada or France. So it makes sense to have each region set its own criteria regarding that.

Well I guess there is not an actual published list.....but I went to NIKON support and asked the question....and here is their answer.........from my ASK A QUESTION pages......................
NIKON USA said:
HI

For NPS membership we consider the following:

D100, D200, D300-series, D700
D1 - series
D2 - series
D3 - series

I hope this helps.

-David

Now waiting on answer pertaining to lenses..........................then I will post their answer...................

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom