Joining the 645 Club!

Jez

I've been a digital shooter for many years but recently found myself falling back in love with film on a Nikon FM3a. I soon realised that getting into medium format with film is a lot cheaper than taking the digital route so I decided to take the plunge!

I've just bought myself a lovely Mamiya 645 Pro TL with an AE finder and 80mm 2.8 lens, plus I treated myself to the 80mm 1.9 as well as I've heard great things about it. There's some Portra 160 and 400 as well as some Ektra 100 on their way to me as well.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a couple of extra lenses? Something wider and something longer would suit me fine.

Thanks in advance!

Jez

Congrats, the 645 format can be quite captivating. Me, I've been wanting to obtain another 6x6 system, but stumbled across a Bronica ETRS-i system -- body, 75mm, 120 and 220 backs, and a prism finder. Ended up paying about $130 for it. :eek: Since then, I've added a 150mm and the Grip E, which really makes it handle like a large 35mm camera.

Shooting with my 645 is just simply a blast. But it wasn't enough. :wink: I still wanted a decent 6x6 camera, so I bought a Yashica Mat 124. I'd owned a 124G years ago, so I knew how good these cameras were, and I've been very happy with my "new" 124.

My medium format cravings still aren't over with yet. For years I've wanted a Pentax 6x7, and sooner or later I'm gonna get one of those monsters. Once I've got one of them, and a nice array of lenses for it, of course, hopefully, I'll feel complete. :biggrin:

Jez

My medium format cravings still aren't over with yet. For years I've wanted a Pentax 6x7, and sooner or later I'm gonna get one of those monsters. Once I've got one of them, and a nice array of lenses for it, of course, hopefully, I'll feel complete. :biggrin:

You think? I predict some large format in your future.... :biggrin:

You think? I predict some large format in your future.... :biggrin:

Oh gawd, you would say that. I've been eyeing a nice Crown Graphic recently. But I've been able to resist so far. Perhaps it's because I would like to actually build my own 4x5 field camera some day. I have a shop full of wood working tools, both hand and power, and I have a lathe and mill, so I can even produce some of the hardware. But that's a project that's a ways off yet.

Jez, the 150mm f/3.5 lens should be fine. By the way, the more modern lenses will have the letter N following the aperture designation on the lens. Oh, and if you didn't receive one with the camera, I would recommend getting the grip as it makes handling the camera infinitely easier!

Jez

Oh gawd, you would say that. I've been eyeing a nice Crown Graphic recently. But I've been able to resist so far. Perhaps it's because I would like to actually build my own 4x5 field camera some day. I have a shop full of wood working tools, both hand and power, and I have a lathe and mill, so I can even produce some of the hardware. But that's a project that's a ways off yet.

Now that would be some project - art and science combined.

Jez

Jez, the 150mm f/3.5 lens should be fine. By the way, the more modern lenses will have the letter N following the aperture designation on the lens. Oh, and if you didn't receive one with the camera, I would recommend getting the grip as it makes handling the camera infinitely easier!

Excellent. Both the 150mm and 45mm lenses I'm looking into are 'N' versions. I hadn't thought about the grip to be honest, having handled a grip-less Bronica a few years ago I quite like the appeal of the boxy look. But that might all change when I'm actually taking photos....

Real Name
Chris
I prefer the 110mm to the 80 - it is just the right length for decent portraits, and gives a tighter composition for architecture as well. Years ago I had the 35mm, and it was great. As I've ... matured (?) I have gotten less extreme - wrt focal length at least. So now I can find happiness with the 45mm - and that's my 645 kit, 110 and 45mm lenses. I prefer the WLF, but use a prism if I must (like when trying to pan, or for shooting in portrait orientation.)

45mm 1:2.8 is my favorite Mamiya 645 lens.
I hope you don't mind an example:

2421879722_5d06547101_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Look at the above photo up close. That lens has the knack of rendering excellent 3D-look.

Jez

I prefer the 110mm to the 80 - it is just the right length for decent portraits, and gives a tighter composition for architecture as well. Years ago I had the 35mm, and it was great. As I've ... matured (?) I have gotten less extreme - wrt focal length at least. So now I can find happiness with the 45mm - and that's my 645 kit, 110 and 45mm lenses. I prefer the WLF, but use a prism if I must (like when trying to pan, or for shooting in portrait orientation.)

It's going to be a while before I mature....mentally at least.... :wink:

The body came with the 80mm, I'll see how I get on with the 150 for now otherwise my Nikon Lens Lust will be completely dwarfed by my Mamiya Lens Lust!

I do love the idea of a nice and simple kit to take out for the day though.

Jez

The kit is assembled - 45 2.8 N, 80 2.8 N, 150 3.5 N. Taking some Portra 160 and Ektra 100 out this weekend to see what I can do with it...

How does it handle in portrait orientation? I have long eyed this kit and envision doing some nice film portraiture.

I use a Bronica ETRS-i with a Grip E attached, and it makes portrait-oriented photos a breeze. I note that the Mamiya 645 system has a grip that looks very similar to the Grip E, plus there is also a winder option. With either one of these, portrait oriented photos should be an easy matter. The 645 format is just about ideal for portraiture.

I don't know which format is lovely, 6x4.5 or 6x6 or 6x7 or 6x8 or 6x9???

If you ask me, they all have their advantages. If I had enough room in my wallet, I'd have at least one of each.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom